student life

CAPS offering new support services

News-filler

IU Health Center’s Counseling and Psychological Services added several new options this year, according to the CAPS website.

Beginning this semester, CAPS is offering video counseling for IU-Bloomington students, said Cheryl Paul, marketing manager at the IU Health Center. 

Video counseling is available to all students who have access to a computer with video and audio capabilities. Video counseling eliminates travel time and removes the stigma attached to visiting a counselor, according to the CAPS website.

“Students can now have a quick session after class or in their off-campus apartment,” Paul said.

To participate in online therapy, students need to visit the health center and complete a CAPS Now assessment to ensure video counseling is a good fit.

CAPS also provides several support groups that are now free. Before the spring semester, all groups required students to pay a fee. 

Two new support groups this spring are the Trans Support Group and the Chronic Illness Support Group. The other groups address healthy relationships, self-care and support for survivors, empowering students of color and dissertation, Paul said. The groups all meet on the fourth floor of the IU Health Center. The groups are all confidential. 

To participate in these support groups, students need a referral from a CAPS counselor. The only group students do not need a referral for is the Self-Care and Support for Survivors Group.

The Trans Support Group is a place for transgender students to receive have a safe space to talk, according to the CAPS website. It meets 1-2 p.m. Fridays.

The Chronic Illness Support Group allows students to connect with others, share their stories and develop methods for managing chronic illness. The group meets 3-4 p.m. Thursdays.

The Healthy Relationships Support Group is free and meets 1:30-2:30 p.m. Wednesdays.

The Self-Care and Support for Survivors Group is meant for students to have a safe environment to discuss the difficulties of being a survivor of sexual assault. The group meets 1-2:30 p.m. Fridays.

The Empowering Students of Color Support Group is designed for minorities on campus. It meets 9:30-10:30 a.m. Thursdays.

The Dissertation Support Group helps provide emotional support for students and works on goal-setting and stress management. It is geared toward graduate students.The group meets 1:30-3 p.m. Tuesdays.