sports volleyball

IU volleyball signs transfer Megan Sloan

IU Women's Volleyball Head Coach Steven Aird

IU volleyball announced in a release Friday that the team has signed transfer outside hitter Megan Sloan from the University of Louisville. 

Sloan will join the Hoosiers in the spring season and will play her senior season with the cream and crimson in the fall of 2019.

While Sloan is a transfer, the signing is close to home for her. Sloan is a Zionsville, Indiana, native and attended Cathedral High School. 

In her junior season at Louisville, Sloan had 225 kills on a .277 hitting percentage. She will also bring to the team a right side presence, as she has played the position at both the high school and collegiate levels.

"We are excited to get Megan to campus in the spring so we can spend the next eight months getting ready for the 2019 season," IU Coach Steve Aird said in the release.  "She understands the challenge in front of us and is excited for the opportunity."

At Cathedral, Sloan was a 2015 IHSAA Class 4A Volleyball State Champion and was an all-state player in her junior and senior seasons.

Less than a month ago, IU signed a top recruit in Emily Fitzner whose brother Evan Fitzner plays basketball at IU. 

The connections are similar for Sloan. Her brother, Grant Sloan, is a sophomore pitcher for IU baseball. The athletic ties also stretch back to their grandfather, Jerry Sloan, who is in the Basketball Hall of Fame.

"Megan is a veteran player with great pedigree and longstanding ties to IU," Aird said in the release. "She is a competitive kid with a good arm and will add a great deal to our roster."