sports   |   women's basketball

Women’s basketball cruises to third win of season

spiuwbb

Junior guard Ali Patberg searches for a teammate to throw the ball to. Patberg contributed 30 points to the overall 75 during IU's defeat of University of North Florida, 75-52.  Ty Vinson Buy Photos

IU women’s basketball got contributions from top to bottom as the team took down University of North Florida on Sunday with a final score of 75-52.

The game was the first of a three-game homestand for the Hoosiers, and the team was led by a double-double from junior guard Ali Patberg.

With 20 points, 13 rebounds and six assists, Patberg set season highs in all three categories. Her double-double was the team’s first of the season.

“I thought Ali Patberg did a tremendous job of running our basketball team this afternoon,” IU Coach Teri Moren said in an IU Athletics release.

It wasn’t just Patberg helping improve the team’s record to 3-0. Nine Hoosiers scored in the game, with sophomore guards Bendu Yeaney and Jaelynn Penn joining Patberg in double-digit scoring.

Yeaney set the tone early for the team, as an 11-0 run in the first quarter gave IU a lead it would not let go. Of the 11 points scored on that run, eight came from Yeaney.

Sophomore guard Bendu Yeaney shoots a basket against University of North Florida on Nov. 18. IU is off to a 5-0 start to the season. Ty Vinson Buy Photos

With less than 30 second left, senior walk-on Grace Withrow caught the ball off an inbound pass and knocked in a mid-range jumper for her first career points.

Junior forward Brenna Wise cheers on her team as they score against University of North Florida. Wise contributed three points to the overall 75, beating UNF.  Ty Vinson Buy Photos

IU’s biggest lead of the game was 25 points, and the team out rebounded North Florida 50-23.

The next game of IU homestand will be at 2 p.m. Wednesday when the team takes on Florida. 

More in Sports