sports women's basketball

Three takeaways from Teri Moren's "Inside IU Women's Basketball"

iuucdavis2a.JPG

It’s been a perfect start to the 2018-19 season for IU women’s basketball in terms of its record. The Hoosiers are 2-0 with wins over Milwaukee and Oakland, but in terms of how the team is playing, there is work to be done. 

Coach Teri Moren emphasized many different aspects of the team’s game that can improve on her radio show with IU radio announcer Greg Murray on Monday’s “Inside IU Women’s Basketball with Teri Moren.”

Here are three notable takeaways from the half-hour show.

1. Too many turnovers 

Despite beating Oakland by 27 points Sunday, the Hoosiers turned the ball over 26 times throughout the 40 minute game. 

Moren said her team had the right idea, but they just seemed about a second off from everything. She added that at times, the team seemed too passive, which created some of those unforced turnovers. 

The 26 turnovers were twice as many as IU had in its first game, but even the 13 turnovers against Milwaukee is too high a number for Moren. 

“Very disappointed with how we handled ourselves in that category,” Moren said. “That’s just too many.”

Moren said the team will be watching a lot of film to try and correct those mistakes. 

2. Defensive improvement 

Even though the offense turned the ball over a lot, IU’s defense shut down the Oakland offense. After the first quarter, Oakland had only three points. 

With a final score of 59-32, the game marked the fewest points allowed by the IU women’s basketball program since 2004.  

It was a big jump after allowing 66 points to Milwaukee the game prior. 

“Give our kids a lot of credit being able to finally keep our man in front of us and not give up anything easy going to the basket," Moren said. "I think as a staff we were pleased with a lot of things we got to see defensively, but still know there’s still a lot of work that has to happen in order for us to guard at a high level.” 

3. Ring ceremony for 2018 WNIT Championship 

Immediately following the show, Moren had special dinner arrangements at IU President Michael McRobbie’s house, where the team will receive its championship rings for the WNIT run in March.

The championship banner was hung in Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall during Hoosier Hysteria, and now the player’s tangible accessory will be revealed. 

“They are beautiful,” Moren said of the rings. “They turned out exactly like we wanted them. I think one of the nice things about the side is there’s a picture of Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall, which is pretty unique. The kids, I think, are going to be really excited.”

IU played all six home games inside Assembly Hall in the WNIT.

Tyra Buss and Amanda Cahill will also be there to join the team in celebration.

“It’s a special night for the Hoosiers,” Moren said.