Instant Recap: IU men's basketball blows out Montana State to start regular season 2-0

Basketball_MontanaState_Morgan_Tiplick2.JPG

* FINAL: IU defeats Montana State 80-35 to improve to 2-0 this season.

It was a game dominated from start to finish by the Hoosiers as the Bobcats did not put up much of a fight.

Montana State shot a woeful 3-26 from 3-point territory tonight, and 14-55 from the field overall.

IU did most of the damage in the first half, opening up a 43-19 lead at the break and never looking back.

Justin Smith and Romeo Langford both punctuated the second half with dunks that got the crowd off its feet.

Juwan Morgan had his 10th career double-double in the win. Ten of Morgan's 11 rebounds were defensive rebounds. 

Morgan led all IU players with 14 points, followed by Smith with 13 and Langford and Rob Phinisee both with 12 points. 

* Under-8 timeout: IU leads Montana State 74-31 with 6:55 to play.

This game has been a blowout for a long time.

Jake Forrester and Clifton Moore have now checked into the game for IU while freshman point guard Rob Phinisee continues to make a case for him taking over the starting job.

He has 12 points in 25 minutes tonight, but just one turnover. His fellow point guard Devonte Green has two points, five assists, but three turnovers, in 19 minutes.

Archie Miller's minutes allocation for each player going forward will be fascinating to observe.

* Under-12 timeout: IU leads Montana State 64-24 with 11:43 left in the game.

Juwan Morgan has his 10th career double-double for IU with 14 points and 11 rebounds. He also has four assists.

Nine different Hoosiers have scored, included three with more than 10 points.

Montana State is making just 23 percent of its shots and 15 percent of its three-point attempts.

* Under-16 timeout: IU leads Montana State 53-21 with 15:35 left in the game.

It's a blowout and its been that way for a while now. High-flying dunks have been the main attraction of the second half, with Romeo Langford and Justin Smith all finding their moments of elevation.

Smith has 13 points and Langford has 12 points.

* HALFTIME: IU leads Montana State 43-19.

It was a woeful shooting half for Montana State and an incredibly efficient one for IU.

The Bobcats are 2-15 shooting three-pointers and 8-27 shooting from the field overall.

IU meanwhile has had seven different okays score a point, led by Juwan Morgan with 14 points.

Morgan also has seven rebounds and is a perfect 6-6 shooting the ball. Justin Smith also has nine points for IU and has been active in and around the basket for the Hoosiers.

Al Durham played his first minutes of the season for the Hoosiers in the first half, recording an assist but also picking up two fouls in three minutes of game action.

* Under-4 timeout: IU leads Montana State 36-13 with 3:54 to go before halftime.

The Hoosiers have taken full advantage of a lost-looking Bobcat team late in the first half.

Montana State hasn't scored since there was 9:38 to go in the half. Meanwhile, the IU offense has continued to chug along. Juwan Morgan is the first Hoosier in double figures with 11 points and he also leads the team with five rebounds.

* Under-8 timeout: IU leads Montana State 26-13 with 7:51 to go before halftime.

A total of seven different Hoosiers have scored in this game, still led by Morgan's eight points. Romeo Langford has three rebounds and two assists in addition to his three points. The Hoosiers have outscored the Bobcats by 14 points with Langford on the court.

Montana State is now 2-10 shooting three-pointers.

* Under-12 timeout: IU leads Montana State 22-12 with 11:42 to go in the first half.

The ball movement has been crisp and defined from the Hoosiers so far. Juwan Morgan and Evan Fitzner have both had success down low in the post against Montana State's zone defense.

Morgan leads IU with eight points on 4-4 shooting from the field.

The Bobcats are just 2-6 shooting three-pointers.

* Under-16 timeout: IU leads Montana State 10-7 with 15:58 to go in the first half.

Juwan Morgan and Justin Smith pace the Hoosiers with four points each to start the game. IU is having success making its way to the hoop against Montana State's zone defense.

* Montana State's best player, guard Tyler Hall, is a full-go for the Bobcats tonight after being limited in Montana State's opening loss to Utah State.

* IU will welcome back guard Al Durham and forward Race Thompson tonight from their respective injuries, while forward Jerome Hunter is still out hurt with a foot injury.

* Hello and welcome to tonight's live updates page for IU's men's basketball's game against Montana State.