COLUMN: Logan Justus proves his value to IU football in win against Maryland

IUFB_Maryland_8.jpg

Logan Justus stood and answered the questions directed to him.

He did no more. He did no less.

In between short, direct responses to reporters' inquiries after IU's 34-32 victory against Maryland on Saturday at Memorial Stadium, he allowed a vast smile to take over his face.

The significance of his accomplishment, kicking the game-winning 42-yard field goal with just minutes left to give the Hoosiers their fifth win of the season, juxtaposed his muted demeanor postgame. 

It was a critical moment for a team on the brink of having its postseason hopes go up in flames.

With a visit to No. 4 Michigan looming next Saturday before the Old Oaken Bucket game at home against Purdue in two weeks, Saturday's game was a must-win for IU. 

Throughout the course of the game, it seemed as if neither the Hoosiers, nor the Terrapins, were confident enough to take control. This presented the opportunity for Justus, one of the few non-scholarship players to receive significant playing time with the Hoosiers, to make his mark.

Trailing Maryland 32-31 and facing a fourth-and-one situation from the Maryland 24-yard line with less than three minutes to go in the game, the choices presented to IU Coach Tom Allen were clear — go for the first down to try and keep possession and score a touchdown, or attempt a field goal to take the lead and give the ball back to Maryland.

"It was discussed and I said 'no, we're not doing it, we're kicking the field goal,'" Allen said. "You got a chance to win the game, I just had to believe in our defense. We had to get one big stop and get the field goal and everything."

For his part, Justus said he had no idea what the plan was. But he was prepared.

“I was just ready whenever they called my name," Justus said.

Allen's defense rose to the challenge, forcing a fumble with about one minute left to seal the win. But Justus was the man of the hour, no matter how much he tried to shun the attention.

"He's been clutch all year," Allen said.

This is the first year Justus has appeared in games for IU. He spent the first three seasons of his college career on the sideline, joining the team as a walk-on during the 2015 season, which he redshirted. He didn't appear in a game in 2016 or 2017 as the reliable Griffin Oakes handled kicking duties.

But following Oakes' graduation, the Hoosiers were looking for someone to take over his position — not an easy thing to do considering Oakes owns the program record for field goals made with 69.

Justus wasn't even IU's preferred choice.

The Hoosiers recruited Oakes' replacement, freshman Charles Campbell, and gave the high school All-American from Tennessee a scholarship. 

But, Justus beat out Campbell, sophomore Jared Smolar and a plethora of other candidates to win the starting job.

He's been the standout player of the season for the Hoosiers.

Justus has gone 13 of 15 on field goal attempts this season, having one kick blocked against Virginia and missing a 50-yard try at Ohio State. He also had an extra point blocked against Virginia, but he's been as steady as can be otherwise.

IUFB_Mich State_3.jpg
Redshirt sophomore Drew Conrad prepares to hold the ball for redshirt junior kicker Logan Justus after IU’s first touchdown of the game on Sept. 22 against Michigan State. IU plays No. 18 Penn State this Saturday afternoon. Sam House

Consistency and poise have been two qualities lacking at times from IU this season, but Justus seemingly specializes in these characteristics.

"I think we have that much trust in Logan," sophomore quarterback Peyton Ramsey said. "He's done a really good job for us all year."

For someone who just had the biggest moment of his college career, Justus didn't remember much about the aftermath of it.

He said nothing went through his mind before the winning kick, and he wasn't sure who the first person to congratulate him was after the ball split the uprights in Memorial Stadium's north end zone.

But once he made it back to the IU sideline, everyone surrounded the McCordsville, Indiana-native.

In the IU locker room after the game, Justus was given the game ball by Allen, before being carried on his teammates' shoulders while they chanted his name.

"It was a really big confidence builder," Justus said. "I know that my team trusted me, and I trusted the team."

If IU is to complete its frenetic, late-season push to reach the postseason, it will need to beat at least one of Michigan and Purdue. 

Confidence will be key, as is trust. 

The Hoosiers should look no further than Justus to lead the way, even if he just stands and grins while doing so.

cpdrummo@iu.edu

@cdrummond97