Instant Recap: IU football forces a late fumble to beat Maryland

Ty Fryfogle

* FINAL: IU defeats Maryland, 34-32, to earn its fifth win of the season and move within one win of bowl eligibility.

The Hoosiers forced a fumble at midfield with the Terrapins driving down the field to try and attempt a winning field goal.

Kayton Samuels forced the fumble. Niles Sykes recovered it.

Logan Justus recorded a game-winning, 42-yard field goal with 2:32 to go to win the game for the Hoosiers.

Peyton Ramsey finished the game with 243 yards passing and two touchdowns through the air, along with an impressive touchdown run during the game.

Stevie Scott had more than 100 yards rushing and a touchdown for IU today.

Anthony McFarland recorded a 210-yard rushing performance in a loss for Maryland.

IU is now 5-5 this season and will travel to No. 4 Michigan next weekend, one wins way from a bowl berth.

* FIELD GOAL (2:32 left in the game)

IU football has the lead, 34-32, with less than three minutes to go in the game.

A big 27-yard rush from Scott put IU on the edge of field goal range, and after some conservative play-calling by the offense, IU settled for a 42-yard attempt from Logan Justus, which he made.

* TOUCHDOWN (4:54 left in the game)

Maryland has taken the lead against IU, 32-21.

A 15-yard touchdown pass from Pigrome to Jeshaun Jones, in which Jones seemed to impossibly stay in-bounds and fight through three Hoosier defenders to dive for the pylon. The drive also featured a 51-yard pass play for Maryland on a 3rd and 4 situation.

A review upheld the touchdown call, but IU is able to stop Maryland on a two-point conversion attempt.

* FIELD GOAL (12:25 left in the game)

IU leads Maryland 31-26.

Maryland continues to chip away at the IU lead as Petrino hits a 39-yard field goal.

Terrapins used a big 16-yard rush from McFarland on 4th and 1 to move into field goal range.

McFarland now has the Maryland record for single-season rushing yards by a freshman.

* END of the 3rd quarter: IU leads Maryland 31-23.

A long third quarter ends with the Hoosiers up by eight points, but Maryland has the ball in IU territory.

The Terrapins have more than 300 yards rushing. Peyton Ramsey has more than 230 passing yards for the Hoosiers.

* TOUCHDOWN (6:45 left in the 3rd quarter)

It takes Maryland just 20 seconds to answer IU.

A good kickoff return of 47 yards by the Terrapins leads to a quick scoring drive, capped by a 27-yard rush by Javon Leake into the end zone.

Maryland also completes a two-point conversion a two-yard pass from Pigrome to McFarland.

IU leads Maryland 31-23, and it's a one-possession game again.

* FIELD GOAL (7:05 left in the 3rd quarter)

IU leads Maryland 31-15.

More pass interference penalties against Maryland leads to more points from IU. The Hoosiers make it inside the Terrapin 10-yard line, but are forced to settle for a 23-yard Logan Justus field goal.

That's 17 points off turnovers for the IU offense today.

* FUMBLE (8:57 left in the 3rd quarter)

IU takes over possession of the ball after McFarland fumbles the ball on a hit delivered by IU's Alfred Bryant. Bryant recovered the ball as well.

Maryland has turned the ball over three times today, and the first two times IU has scored touchdowns off them.

* TOUCHDOWN (11:26 left in the 3rd quarter)

IU leads Maryland 28-15.

The Hoosiers start the second half with authority. After successfully converting on a 4th and 3 near midfield, IU continued to drive down the field with the help of Maryland pass interference penalties, before Peyton Ramsey found Nick Westbrook on a 19-yard pass for a touchdown.

After a lengthy review, the call on the field was upheld.

The nine-play, 81-yard drive ends with a Logan Justus extra point.

* HALFTIME: IU leads Maryland 21-15.

Right before halftime, Maryland is able to turn the interception into points as Petrino rebounds from his missed extra point by successfully converting a 31-yard field goal.

The Hoosiers took advantage to start the second quarter with 21 straight points, but Maryland closed the half scoring nine straight points.

Peyton Ramsey has 129 yards passing with a touchdown and an interception.

Stevie Scott has a rushing touchdown, as does Ramsey.

Running back Anthony McFarland has been a problem defensively for IU. McFarland has 135 yards rushing on 16 attempts.

IU will get the ball first to start the second half.

* INTERCEPTION (2:35 left in the first half)

Peyton Ramsey is intercepted by Maryland's Tre Watson.

The pass was tipped at the line of scrimmage.

Maryland has the ball at midfield looking to cut the deficit just before halftime.

* TOUCHDOWN (3:04 left in the first half)

IU leads Maryland 21-12.

Maryland punches it into the end zone via a three-yard run from Tayon Fleet-Davis.

Starting quarterback Kasim Hill was injured during the drive for Maryland, but backup quarterback Tyrrell Pigrome entered the game and played well as Maryland continued to primarily run the football.

Running back Anthony McFarland has 118 yards rushing for Maryland.

Kicker Joseph Petrino missed the extra point, though, so Maryland is still down two possessions. 

* TOUCHDOWN (8:11 left in the first half)

IU scores another touchdown following a takeaway on defense as Stevie Scott runs it in from two yards out.

It's Scott's eighth touchdown of the season, a new record for true freshmen at IU.

Hoosiers lead the Terrapins 21-6, as IU has scored 21 points in just over four minutes of game time.

* FUMBLE (9:26 left in the first half)

The turnovers are coming thick and fast for the Terrapins now.

IU's Jerome Johnson falls on the ball after it squirts loose during a Maryland rushing play.

IU has the ball looking to increase its lead in Maryland territory. 

* TOUCHDOWN (10:07 left in the first half)

The narrative of the game has changed completely as Peyton Ramsey finds Donavan Hale for a 37-yard touchdown pass.

Hale was wide open in the end zone after beating his corner with the route. It took IU just three plays to go 64 yards after the Williams interception.

IU leads Maryland 14-6.

* INTERCEPTION (10:59 left in the first half)

IU football gets the first takeaway of the game as Jaylin Williams easily intercepts Hill. Hill was pressured by IU's defensive line, forcing the pass which fluttered in the air for seemingly forever until it fell into the arms of Williams.

It's the first interception of Williams' career.

* TOUCHDOWN (12:30 left in the first half)

IU leads Maryland 7-6 after a sensational 35-yard touchdown run by Peyton Ramsey.

Ramsey used some big pass plays to wide receiver Ty Fryfogle to move IU football out of bad field position, before making three Maryland defenders miss as he scampered to the end zone.

Impressive by Ramsey as the IU offense had done nothing before this drive.

The Hoosiers went 90 yards in less than two minutes on that drive.

* END of 1st quarter: IU trails Maryland 6-0.

Maryland has scored six points while IU has run seven offensive plays.

The Hoosiers have had the ball for just 2:45 while Maryland has had the ball for 12:15.

Maryland has 169 total yards to IU's 12.

Maryland has 117 yards rushing while IU has -5.

* FIELD GOAL (2:50 left in 1st quarter)

Maryland leads 6-0 after another short field goal from Joseph Petrino.

This Petrino field goal is from 31 yards out.

Maryland once again made it deep in IU territory, but had to settle for three points after Hill missed an open receiver in the end zone on third down.

Maryland has dominated the time of possession, with 10:34 to IU's 1:36.

* FIELD GOAL (10:05 left in 1st quarter) 

Maryland leads 3-0 after scoring a 29-yard field goal on its opening drive.

Ty Johnson had a good start running the ball for the Terrapins, having three carries for 28 yards on the opening drive. Quarterback Kasim Hill had two completions for 16 yards. 

It was a 10-play, 60-yard scoring drive for Maryland. IU gets its turn offensively next, but goes three-and-out.

* Linebacker Reakwon Jones is out for IU today. Linebacker T.D. Roof and defensive lineman Jacob Robinson are both active for the Hoosiers.

* Both teams are looking to reach the postseason with six wins this season. Maryland has to win one of its final three games to achieve this, while IU must win two of its final three games.

* Hello and welcome to today's live updates page for the IU football game against Maryland.