sports men's soccer

Five Hoosiers named in TopDrawerSoccer midseason Top-100 rankings

Andrew Gutman vs. Maryland

Heading into the 2018 season, TopDrawerSoccer had four IU men’s soccer players in their top-100 player rankings. On Monday afternoon, the midseason top-100 player rankings included five Hoosiers.

IU is 11-2 this season with a 5-0 record in Big Ten play.

Here are the five players who made the rankings.

No. 2 – senior defender Andrew Gutman – Gutman was already the second-ranked player in the top-100 to begin the season. He leads the Hoosiers with eight goals and has proven himself as one of the best defenders in the country. How far IU goes in the postseason this year will largely play in part of how Gutman performs.

No. 15 – sophomore goalkeeper Trey Muse – Muse moved up 18 spots from No. 33 to No. 15 in the rankings, thanks to another strong performance in the goal this season for the Hoosiers. Last season Muse tied the IU record for most shutouts in a single season with 18. Muse has seven blank sheets this season and remains an anchor for the IU defense.

No. 37 – senior midfielder Francesco Moore – Despite being one of the main reasons why IU has been so successful this season, Moore fell from No. 35 to No. 37 in the rankings. He hasn’t scored a goal this season, but he does have a pair of assists. Moore has started in the IU midfield for every game that he’s appeared in his career.

No. 57 – sophomore midfielder Griffin Dorsey – Dorsey kept the same ranking that he had coming into the season. He was also a member of the USA U-17 National Team earlier this season. Dorsey has four goals and three assists playing on the right side of the IU attack. His dribbling and attacking ability puts constant pressure on the opponents.

No. 82 – sophomore midfielder Justin Rennicks – Rennicks claimed a spot in the rankings thanks to his performance at striker in the IU attack. He’s made a smooth transition to playing in the same position that Mason Toye starred in just a year ago. Rennicks has scored four goals on 15 shots while starting in every match this season. He came in clutch against then-No. 8 Notre Dame, scoring the golden goal on the road.