Three things to know about Michigan State

IUFB_Ball State_5.jpg

After last week’s 38-10 demolition of the Ball State Cardinals, IU begins conference play with a record of 3-0. Michigan State comes to Bloomington sporting a record of 1-1. The team has not played since its 16-13 loss to Arizona State on Sept. 8. 

The last two meetings between the Spartans and Hoosiers have been close affairs. Michigan State won the most recent matchup 17-9 in East Lansing. 

Here are three key things to watch for when IU takes on the Spartans Saturday night.

Michigan State will try to establish the run behind senior LJ Scott.

It’s been a slow start for senior running back LJ Scott. Scott was named to the watch lists for the Maxwell and Doak Walker Awards before the start of the season, but he’s struggled to get going so far. Through two games, Scott has tallied 30 carries for 106 yards for an average of 3.4 yards per carry.

He was ineffective against Arizona State. He only carried the ball seven times for just 22 yards. Scott wasn’t a real threat in the passing game either, where he had two catches for 16 yards. Michigan State’s inability to move the ball on the ground was a big reason the Spartans fell to Arizona State, so look for Scott to get carries early and often against IU.

Brian Lewerke isn’t the flashiest quarterback, but he makes enough plays to win games.

Junior Brian Lewerke has flown a little under the radar so far in his college career, but a lot is expected of him this season. Lewerke was named to the Davey O’Brien award watch list before the season and has already racked up 601 passing yards and three touchdowns in the first two games this year.

Lewerke, along with the ability to push the ball downfield through the air, is also a very consistent passer. While it’s an admittedly small sample size, Lewerke sports a 69.4 percent completion rate, good for fifth in the Big Ten. Lewerke’s ability to find his receivers with consistency and avoid turnovers will be key for Michigan State on Saturday.

Michigan State’s defense is elite against the run, but is susceptible to the pass.

Through the first two games of Michigan State’s season, the Spartan defense has been one of the best units in the country when the opposing team tries to run the ball. The Spartans have given up just 69 yards on the ground so far this year, and limit opponents to just 1.3 yards per carry.

But as stingy as the Spartans are against the run, they’re incredibly weak against opposing teams’ passing attacks. Michigan State has given up an average of 349.5 passing yards per game so far, and Utah State and Arizona State aren’t elite offensive units. If Peyton Ramsey and the IU receiving corps can find their feet early Saturday night, the Hoosier passing attack could be in for a big game.