Tuesday, March 19

sports softball men's basketball women's basketball football wrestling volleyball

Six former Hoosiers to be inducted in the IU Athletics Hall of Fame

Rachelle Bostic.jpg

Athletic Director Fred Glass announced the 37th IU Athletics Hall of Fame class Sept. 12.

The 2018 inductees feature Monica Armendarez (softball, 1995-98), Rachelle Bostic (women’s basketball, 1981-84), Brian Evans (men’s basketball, 1993-96), Sam Komar (wrestling, 1975-78), Ann Lawver (volleyball coach/softball coach/administrator, 1975-82) and Glenn Scolnik (football, 1970-72). 

These six will now put the Athletics Hall of Fame total up to 231. The Athletics Hall of Fame was established in 1982 and recognizes individuals who have made exceptional contributions to IU both on and off the field. 

Here’s a little more information on the 2018 class: 

Monica Armendarez, softball 

Armendarez ranks second in the program’s all-time leaders in career batting average at .369, fourth in hits with 222, second in runs with 139, first in doubles with 54, second in home runs with 38, second in RBIs with 146, fifth in walks with 95 and second in slugging percentage at .784. She is the only player in Big Ten history to lead the conference outright in home runs during Big Ten games in multiple seasons in 1995 and 1998. After graduating from IU, Armendarez became the program’s first ever professional player when she played with the Carolina Diamonds of the Women’s Pro Fastpitch League. She set the WPSL single-season record for home runs with 12 in 1999.

Rachelle Bostic, women's basketball 

Bostic ranks seventh on the program’s all-time scoring list with 1,827 points and sixth in rebounding with 873. She holds the IU career record for field goals made with 839, as well as the single-game mark for field goals made, which was 17 against South Carolina in 1984. She was named to the first-team All-Big Ten in 1982 after averaging 16 points per game and 8.1 rebounds per game. Due to her successful IU career, Bostic was tabbed as a second-team selection to the Big Ten’s All-Decade team for the 1980s.

Brian Evans, men's basketball 

Evans is one of only 12 Hoosiers to win Big Ten Most Valuable Player honors in men’s basketball. He received the award after averaging 21.2 points per game and 7.1 rebounds per game as a senior in 1996. During that season, Evans became the first player in the Bob Knight era to lead the conference in scoring. He finished his career 12th all-time in points with 1,701 and tenth in rebounds with 750. After his IU career concluded, Evans was drafted in the first round of the NBA Draft by the Orlando Magic and spent four years in the NBA with Orlando and New Jersey.

Sam Komar, wrestling 

A two-time Big Ten champion and All-American, Komar earned wrestling letters from 1975-78. He captured Big Ten championships at 134 pounds in 1975 and 142 pounds in 1977. In addition to his Big Ten titles, Komar also earned All-America honors at 134 pounds in 1976 and in 1977 after advancing to the NCAA title match at 142 pounds. His best season came in 1977 when Komar compiled a 40-4-1 record. During his four years in Bloomington, Komar was 114-24-4. He is one of only 12 Hoosiers to win multiple Big Ten wrestling championships and ranks tenth in school history with 114 career wins.

Ann Lawver, volleyball coach, softball coach/administrator

Lawver was the first coach for the IU volleyball program, leading the team to a 158-148-9 record during her tenure from 1975-83. In both 1976 and 1977, her teams won 28 matches, which still stands as the program standard for single-season victories. In addition to volleyball, Lawver was the head coach of the IU softball team from 1977-79. In her final season with the softball program, she guided IU to a 32-14 record and led the team to its first-ever trip to the Women’s College World Series, where the Hoosiers placed fifth. 

Glenn Scolnik, football 

As a senior in 1972, Scolnik was named team MVP and first-team All-Big Ten after catching 53 passes for 727 yards and six touchdowns. During that same season, he caught nine passes for what was then a school-record 175 yards against TCU, then later scored three touchdowns and had a two-point conversion in a 35-34 win over Kentucky. Scolnik is also one of nine Hoosiers to earn Academic All-America honors. After he graduated, he was drafted in the sixth round of the NFL Draft by the Pittsburgh Steelers and spent one season in the NFL. 

All six former Hoosiers will be officially inducted at the annual Hall of Fame dinner on Nov. 9 and will be recognized at halftime of the IU football game against Maryland on Nov. 10. 

“IU athletics has a rich history in all of its sports, which is evidenced in this year’s class that represents six different programs,” Glass said in an IU athletics press release. “These six individuals contributed an enormous amount to the success of their teams and the notoriety of our entire Athletics Department."