Instant Recap: IU loses to No. 24 Michigan State in battle for Old Brass Spittoon

_Q8A9263.jpg

FINAL: No. 24 Michigan State defeats IU 35-21.

IU never had a lead in this game as Michigan State controlled the contest from start to finish.

Both teams struggled to run the football against the opposing defenses, but officiating calls and big plays favored the Spartans.

A 69-yard interception return touchdown by Michigan State, a 74-yard touchdown drive to end the first half by the Spartans, the ejection of IU's Husky, Marcelino Ball, and a 75-yard rushing touchdown to cap the game for MSU were the major moments of the contest.

Peyton Ramsey finished the game for IU with 31 of 45 passing numbers for 272 yards and two touchdowns and two interceptions.

IU's leading rusher was Stevie Scott with 18 yards, while Whop Philyor led receivers with 148 yards from 13 catches.

On defense, senior safety Jonathan Crawford had nine tackles for the Hoosiers, while Ball was a one-man wrecking crew before his dismissal. Ball had six tackles, including two sacks, before he was ejected.

IU, now 3-1, will travel to Rutgers next Saturday afternoon, while Michigan State, now 2-1, will play at home against Central Michigan. 

INTERCEPTION (2:38 - 4th quarter) Michigan State's Antjuan Simmons intercepts Peyton Ramsey in Hoosier territory to all but seal the Spartan victory.

TOUCHDOWN (3:17 - 4th quarter) A 75-yard rushing touchdown by Jalen Nailor puts a dagger in the hearts of IU fans.

Nailor ran untouched into the end zone. He took the handoff from Lewerke while in motion and ran past everybody dressed in crimson.

Michigan State leads IU 35-21.

FIELD GOAL (3:28 - 4th quarter) Logan Justus makes a 36-yard field goal to pull IU to within one possession of the Spartans.

IU has all three timeouts remaining and must decide whether or not to attempt an onside kick.

IU kicks the ball to Michigan State and a fair coach gives the Spartans the ball at their own 25-yard line.

Michigan State leads IU 28-21.

TOUCHDOWN (8:19 - 4th quarter) Whop Philyor continues his huge game for the Hoosiers with a 65-yard touchdown reception. Philyor ran across the middle of the field, from top to bottom, and found himself all alone in the middle of the field. Ramsey found him in stride and Philyor sped into the end zone.

Philyor has 11 catches for 134 receiving yards.

IU converted a two-point conversion as well on a two-yard pass from Ramsey to Nick Westbrook.

IU trails No. 24 Michigan State 28-18.

INTERCEPTION (10:17 - 4th quarter) Linebacker Cam Jones forces another takeaway for the IU defense as he intercepts Lewerke with an acrobatic, backwards diving catch at the MSU 10-yard line. Jones also forced a fumble that the Hoosiers recovered earlier in the game.

Jones was down injured after the play, and went into IU's locker room for further medical evaluation.

IU trails Michigan State by 18 points.

FIELD GOAL (14:43 - 4th quarter) Logan Justus drills a 35-yard field goal through the uprights for IU's first points of the second half. IU started the drive inside the MSU 10-yard line, but finished it at the MSU 18-yard line.

IU elected to not attempt to go for the end zone of fourth and goal. The game remains a three-possession game.

Michigan State leads IU 28-10.

END OF 3RD QUARTER: No. 24 Michigan State leads IU 28-7. IU's offense was stagnant in the quarter, as Stevie Scott and the rushing attack has continued to falter, totaling just 14 combined yards in the game.

The loss of Ball meant IU's most productive defensive play in the game won't be available in the fourth quarter.

Michigan State's lone third-quarter score was a rushing touchdown by its kicker.

IU has the ball at the MSU three-yard line to start the fourth period.

INTERCEPTION: (0:39 - 3rd quarter) IU gets a spark right before the end of the quarter as Khalil Bryant intercepts Brian Lewerke near the MSU end zone.

IU ball at the MSU seven yard-line.

TOUCHDOWN (4:47 - 3rd quarter) Following Ball's ejection, MSU drives to the IU 6-yard line and lined up to attempt a short field goal. However, the Spartans faked the field goal as the holder took the snap from the center, ran to the right then pitched the ball to kicker Matt Coghlin.

Coghlin then raced to the pylon ahead of the IU defense for the touchdown.

Michigan State leads IU 28-7.

EJECTION (7:27 - 3rd quarter) Husky Marcelino Ball has been ejected form the game after a targeting penalty was assessed against him. Ball hit Michigan State quarterback Brian Lewerke late, and with his helmet, although replays shows contact between Ball's arm and shoulder with Lewerke.

Ball is suspended for the first half of next week's game at Rutgers as well.

MSU has the ball at the IU 29-yard line.

HALFTIME: No. 24 Michigan State leads IU 21-7. The Spartans took an initial 14-0 in the first quarter on a scoring drive and an interception returned for a touchdown, but IU responded in the second quarter with a Peyton Ramsey touchdown pass.

IU had some drives to try and tie the game or close the gap, but the first half ended with a 74-yard touchdown drive by the Spartan offense.

Both teams have had very limited success rushing the football tonight, with MSU totaling -12 rushing yards and only 32 yards for IU.

Peyton Ramsey is 15-18 for 112 yards passing and one touchdown and interception each for IU. Whop Philyor has caught eight passes for 59 yards.

IU will start the second half with the football.

TOUCHDOWN (0:19 - 2nd quarter) Michigan State restores its 14-point lead just before halftime. A 74-yard drive that took only 1:04 off the clock ends with a touchdown pass from Lewerke to tight end Matt Dotson.

Hoosier fans and players wanted an offensive pass interference call, but none came.

Michigan State leads IU 21-7.

INJURY (0:38 - 2nd quarter) Andre Brown Jr. was down injured for IU after defending a pass attempt from Lewerke. He was able to jog off the field himself.

TOUCHDOWN (6:54 - 2nd quarter) The Hoosiers make the takeaway count by scoring for the first time tonight. Peyton Ramsey finds Stevie Scott on a short pass and Scott barrels into the end zone for a eight-yard score.

The drive covered 51 yards on 10 plays.

Michigan State leads IU 14-7.

FUMBLE (10:07 - 2nd quarter) Linebacker Cam Jones forces a fumble on a Michigan State rushing attempt and the ball is recovered by senior safety Jonathan Crawford. 

Big break for IU after a pass interference call had just gone against the Hoosiers.

Michigan State leads IU 14-0.

TURNOVER ON DOWNS (10:49 - 2nd quarter) IU reaches the Michigan State 18-yard line, faces a 4th and 1, goes for it and fails to convert. Stevie Scott was short on a run up the middle to extend the drive and the Hoosiers waste their best chance tonight to score points.

Michigan State ball at its own 33 after an unsportsmanlike penalty on IU.

END 1ST QUARTER No. 24 Michigan State leads IU 14-0. Spartans have a passing touchdown and a interception return for a touchdown to account for their points.

IU's offense hasn't done much aside from a promising drive in MSU territory before the interception.

TOUCHDOWN (5:35 - 1st quarter) Michigan State takes a 14-0 lead against IU on a 69-yard interception return for a touchdown by defensive back Shakur Brown. IU quarterback Peyton Ramsey was hurried by the Spartan defense, and his pass to running back Stevie Scott was a bit high, deflected by Scott as he tried to catch it and then return for a score by Brown.

Spartans lead 14-0 on the pick-six.

INJURY (8:11 - 1st quarter) According to the Big Ten Network broadcast of the game, Michigan State senior running back LJ Scott is out for the game. Scott did not play on either of Michigan State's opening two drives after injuring his leg two weeks ago at Arizona State.

TOUCHDOWN (8:11 - 1st quarter) Michigan State scores first via a 16-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Brian Lewerke to wide receiver Jalen Nailor. IU had an opportunity to get Michigan State off the field on a fourth-down play at midfield, but the Spartans converted and then went on to score.

Michigan State leads IU 7-0.

KICKOFF (15:00 - 1st quarter) Michigan State returns the game's opening kickoff 43 yards. The drive for the Spartans stalls at the IU 46-yard line, though.

* With a win tonight, it would be the first time IU has won consecutive home games against Michigan State since the 1991 and 1993 seasons (IU defeated Michigan State in overtime in 2016).

* Welcome to the live updates page for tonight's IU football game against No. 24 Michigan State. The winner of tonight's game will be awarded the Old Brass Spittoon, which was last won by the Hoosiers in 2016 in Bloomington.