politics national

Voting in November? Here's what you need to know

US NEWS CAMPAIGN-ILLINOIS 5 TB

When is the election? When do you need to register by?

The midterm elections are Tuesday, Nov. 6 in Indiana. Registration for the upcoming election closes Oct. 9. Registered voters in Monroe County can vote early from Oct. 4 through Nov. 2 at 401 W. 7th St from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekdays. The location will also be open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays from Oct. 17 to Nov. 3.

Who’s on the ballot?

In this year’s election, Bloomington voters will cast their ballots at the polls in support of two candidates for federal office: one for U.S. Senate and one for the House of Representatives’ 9th District. 

The U.S. Senate race in Indiana is attracting national attention as Sen. Joe Donnelly, a vulnerable Democrat in a red state, fights to hold on to his seat. In the 9th District, Democratic candidate Liz Watson — a Bloomington native — seeks to unseat incumbent Rep. Trey Hollingsworth, R–9th District. 

Indiana’s Secretary of State, Auditor of State and Treasurer of State candidates will also be on the ballot, along with one state representative and county-level positions like sheriff, county council and circuit court openings.

Who is eligible to vote in Indiana?

Indiana residents have to be 18 years old at the time of the next general election and must be U.S. citizens to register as voters. Additionally, voters cannot currently be in prison after a criminal conviction and must be registered by the registration deadline.

How can you register?

If you have a valid Indiana driver’s license or state-issued identification, registering to vote is only a few clicks away. The state-maintained online voter portal, which can be found at https://indianavoters.in.gov/, also has tools available for people to check their voting status and find their polling location. 

One thing to remember at the polls

The state of Indiana passed legislation in 2005 requiring voters bring government-issued photo identification to the polls. Those who choose not to can cast a provisional ballot. This law was upheld by the Supreme Court in 2008. If you plan on voting, don’t forget your driver’s license.