crime & courts

Woman possibly shot in apartment, mother reports sexual assault

Mother reports daughter sexually assaulted

A mother brought her daughter to the Bloomington Police Department on May 2 to report her 16-year-old daughter had been sexually assaulted.

The daughter went willingly to a man's house May 1 to hang out, BPD Lt. John Kovach said.

She then reported to her mother, and later to police, she and the man had had sex without her consent. Kovach said the 16-year-old was reluctant to disclose any information about the man. 

She was then taken to IU Health Bloomington Hospital for a rape kit and exam.

This case is still under investigation. 

Woman possibly shot while in her apartment

A woman, 32, called 911 on Thursday claiming she had been shot at her 1283 N. Maple Street apartment. According to the police report, the woman initially thought she had received an electric shock. 

She reported to police she heard a popping sound and then a burning sensation in her arm while sitting down. She had experienced electrical issues in the apartment before, which is why she initially thought she had been shocked. 

When police investigated and went to her apartment they found two wounds on her left forearm, Kovach said. Though she was not bleeding at the time, she was taken to IU Health Bloomington Hospital.

Officers also located holes in the wall and sofa consistent with a small projectile, possibly a bullet. Police obtained a warrant to check out the neighboring apartment where it appeared the the projectile might have come from.

No one was home in the next-door apartment when police entered. Officers found a hole consistent with the ones in the first apartment, but no sign of a gun.

Police will continue to investigate.