politics

Say's Firefly officially Indiana state insect

Gov. Eric Holcomb has officially signed Senate Bill 236 into law, making the Say’s Firefly Indiana’s state insect. Since the 2014-2015 school year, elementary school students have been pushing to pass legislation giving Indiana a state insect.

After months of handwritten letters, drawings and testimony from children in Indiana, Gov. Eric Holcomb officially signed Senate Bill 236 into law, making the Say’s Firefly Indiana’s state insect.

Holcomb traveled to Cumberland Elementary School in West Lafayette, Indiana, on March 23 to sign the bills. Students at Cumberland started the push to pass legislation to make the firefly the state insect.

He was surrounded by the bill author Sen. Ron Alting, R-Lafayette, and bill sponsors Rep. Sally Siegrist, R-Lafayette, and Rep. Sheila Klinker, D-Lafayette. He signed the bill with Cumberland student Kayla Xu, one of the first "lobbyists" for the bill. 

Since the 2014-2015 school year, elementary school students have been pushing to pass legislation giving Indiana a state insect. That was when Xu was doing a school project and realized Indiana was one of three states that did not have one.

At a committee hearing in late January, Xu and other students testified in favor of the bill.

"Everybody loves catching and watching fireflies," she said. 

Holcomb said in a statement the students' perseverance is inspiring.

"After years of advocating for this bill, we’re all aflutter to make it official today," he said.

Holcomb praised the students for being involved with their government. He said the experience was a good way for young people to talk about government, science, art and public speaking. Holcomb started a letter-writing campaign earlier this session, urging students to write a letter and color in a firefly drawing. 

“I hope they take what they’ve learned in advancing this legislation and put it to work in their communities throughout their lives," Holcomb said. "Their futures are flashing and bright.”

Laurel Demkovich