crime & courts

Man accused of raping three Bloomington women in fall 2017

Three Bloomington women reported being raped by the same man in three separate incidents last year.

Bloomington Police Department officers identified the man as 29-year-old Patrick Handy.

Lt. John Kovach and Sgt. George Connolly said Handy was already in jail before new rape charges were filed last week.

Court documents detail how each woman reported Handy's alleged attacks.

The woman who most recently reported Handy raped her said it happened on Sept. 3. 

She told police she  went to multiple bars with some friends during Labor Day weekend when a group of men began harassing them. The women left the bar they were at, but one of the men caught up with them later at B-Town Diner.

He followed her as she walked one friend home, she told police. She also said he continuously grabbed her breasts and kissed her without consent.

The woman told police the man, later identified as Handy, asked her when they were going to have sex multiple times and she felt intimidated. When she arrived at her friend’s house, the friend went inside, leaving the woman alone on the porch with Handy.

She thought about running, she told police, but worried what would happen to her friend inside since she didn’t know whether her friend locked her door. She got in her car with Handy. She didn't want to risk making him angry, she explained later.

On the drive to her residence, Handy told the woman he was a drug dealer. She told police she felt like there was nothing she could do to get out of the situation.

They went inside. Handy refused to wear a condom as he raped her, the woman reported. She told police she was raped vaginally, anally and orally. 

She said she later sold her mattress because it reminded her of that night in September. 

She told a detective on Oct. 2 the rape made her feel “degraded and the most humiliated she had felt in her life."

BPD detective Chris Scott reported locating Handy on Oct. 18, 2017. Handy denied the allegations against him.

The probable cause affidavit from this case was not filed until March 22. It is unclear why.

Another woman reported Handy raped her on Sept. 30 under similar circumstances. The woman said she was out at the bars when she started a conversation with Handy.

She told police she began to feel strange later in the night. She told police she thinks Xanax was slipped in her drink at one of the bars. She told police she does not think Hardy was the one who drugged her. 

The woman reported walking to her home with Handy.

As they walked, the two cut through a playground directly behind the Bloomington Police Department where she said Handy allegedly orally raped the woman.

She told officers she remembers being picked up “like a ragdoll."

The woman said she faded in and out of consciousness before Handy allegedly raped her anally and vaginally and strangled her. Her two roommates listened from the other room.

Bloody sheets from the woman’s bed were collected as evidence.

Handy reportedly told the Bloomington detective he believed the sex was consensual.

A third woman who accused Handy of rape told police she dated Handy before the rape occurred. She said the couple broke up in February and the rape allegedly happened in December. 

She said Handy wanted to see her kids, 3 and 5 years old, so the woman picked Handy up from the public library and drove Handy and the kids to one of his friends’ apartments.

At one point, she told officers she went to the apartment’s bathroom. Handy then reportedly followed her in, locked the door, and raped her.

She reported telling him to stop multiple times. She told police Handy acted aggressively toward her before, but "not this bad."

Handy turned himself in on Dec. 11 and is currently at the Monroe County Correctional Center.