Following months of protest, Bloomington will receive armored truck as planned

<p>Members of Bloomington’s Black Lives Matter arrive at City Hall to protest the Lenco Bearcat G2 armored vehicle. Members of Both BLM and the Young Democratic Socialists chanted through the streets of Bloomington on Wednesday night.&nbsp;</p>

Members of Bloomington’s Black Lives Matter arrive at City Hall to protest the Lenco Bearcat G2 armored vehicle. Members of Both BLM and the Young Democratic Socialists chanted through the streets of Bloomington on Wednesday night. 

Mayor John Hamilton confirmed in a press release Thursday the city will proceed with its original decision to purchase a Lenco BearCat G2 armored truck.

Bloomington confirmed the purchase in a 14-page document.

The decision came after more than a month of protest beginning Feb. 6 when Bloomington Police Department Chief Mike Diekhoff mentioned the truck at a press conference.

The release included an analysis of the city's review on the truck’s purchase. The first question addressed was whether Bloomington needs a replacement armored truck.

“This is a foundational, and fair, question,” the release read. “It is not simple to answer.”

Hamilton’s statement said the city reviewed the purchase with a clean slate after the protests began.

“At no point in this review was the potential cost of terminating the purchase order/contract a relevant factor,” the release read.

The document explains how the decision was made after five public meetings, numerous informal meetings and over 500 individual comments.

This story will be updated.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.