Suspect in attempted murder located, victim paralyzed

A suspect wanted wanted for attempted murder in connection to a Jan. 13 shooting in Bloomington was taken into custody in east Indianapolis around 3:30 p.m. Monday.

The victim of the attempted murder, a 37-year-old man, was shot in the shoulder and neck one time each.

He is currently at Indiana University Health Methodist Hospital suffering paralysis from the gunshot wound to his neck, Bloomington Police Department's Lt. John Kovach said Wednesday morning.

The victim identified his assailant as Ulysses Scott Lewis, 22, over the weekend.

Lewis was located after BPD, U.S. Marshals Service and Indiana State Police followed investigative leads to Indianapolis.

He was taken into custody on the corner of New York Street and Rural Street and then transported to the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department Headquarters for an interview.

Bloomington police will not release the contents of the interview at this time.

Lewis was transferred to the Marion County Jail and booked on the attempted murder warrant as well as outstanding narcotics warrants.

An booking photo of Ulysses Lewis, 22, provided by the Bloomington Police Department. Lewis is wanted on a charge of attempted murder in connection to a Saturday shooting. Courtesy Photo

He has previously been charged with possession of meth, carrying a handgun without a license and driving while intoxicated according to MyCase, an online tracker of criminal and civil cases in Indiana.

The attempted murder investigation is ongoing, and police are still looking for a motive.

Caroline Anders

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.