Men's soccer turns in well-rounded effort in win over South Florida

iumssf12.jpg

The Hoosiers had to play outside their comfort zone for parts of Sunday’s match against South Florida. 

IU failed to win the possession battle for a good portion of Sunday's game.

But when IU scored its first goal, it was a classic way of playing. IU junior defender Timmy Mehl fired a pass 60 yards down the left flank looking for IU junior defender Andrew Gutman.

Gutman found IU freshman Thomas Warr, who gave it back to Gutman, who finished it in the back of the net early on in the first half. 

IU didn’t look back after Gutman’s opening goal, and ended the Adidas/IU Credit Union Classic with a 3-0 win over South Florida on Sunday at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

“Our system is built for that,” Gutman said. “Timmy Mehl with that 60-yard ping, that’s such a weapon for us. It only takes one chance, and it was a great team goal to start off the game.”

After Gutman’s goal in the 14th minute, South Florida began to pressure IU's defense.

The Bulls outshot the Hoosiers at halftime, 10 shots to six. IU had to pack things in defensively and make a few adjustments, but the Hoosiers still found a way to score two more goals.

The Hoosiers were held off the board once again until the 62nd minute when a South Florida handball in the box turned into a penalty kick goal from IU junior Trevor Swartz. That was the brace. Then, for the second straight game, IU senior forward Rashad Hyacenth added another one. Hyacenth's 81st-minute goal put the match out of reach from the Bulls.

Whether it’s Hyacenth, or freshman forwards Thomas Warr or Mason Toye, it’s a tight knit group of strikers, Hyacenth said.

“Those are my compadres,” Hyacenth said. “They bring the energy a lot. I can’t ask for any better guys to work with every single day.”

The offense is getting a lot of the attention, but the defense continues to draw rave reviews from IU Coach Todd Yeagley. The Hoosiers posted a clean sheet for the third time in four matches. The backline of Gutman, Mehl, senior Grant Lillard and sophomore Jordan Kleyn, along with freshman goalkeeper Trey Muse, is playing in midseason form.

South Florida did its best to break them down, but was unsuccessful. The Bulls and the Hoosiers both finished with 13 shots. Lillard and Mehl were blocking shots. Kleyn was blocking crosses. Muse was making saves.

“Grant and Timmy did a nice job,” Yeagley said. “The backline was, outside of a few moments, really steady. We expect that from them. I feel good about that unit.”

With the Hoosiers 4-0 for the first time since 2004, Big Ten Conference play is ready to start up. IU faces one of its sternest tests of the season next Friday with a visit to College Park, Maryland, to face the Maryland Terrapins. Yeagley called it a heavyweight game. 

“We’re 4-0, we’re rolling with goals and our attack is going well, so we’re really excited for that game,” Gutman said.