COLUMN: Three simple, delicious recipes for veggie-lovers

foodcolumn9.21

As someone who rarely goes the extra mile to prepare meat or poultry for meals, I’m always searching for ways to add variety into my vegetable and grain-dependent meals. While sometimes I’ll go a little crazy and make some salmon or shrimp, I usually hold out for meat dishes prepared by someone in a kitchen who knows what they’re doing. Here are a few dishes that range from vegan to pescatarian, all with a short list of ingredients. 

Vegan Coconut Curry

Quick and easy soups, stews and curries are a relief on cold fall nights. While far from an authentic curry, as I claim no deep knowledge of Indian or Thai cuisine, this simple recipe is healthy and hearty. Plus it’s the perfect recipe to make a big batch of and keep in the fridge for a few days. First, sauté some of your favorite veggies like red bell peppers, carrots and broccoli in a pan with a little olive oil, red pepper flakes, 1 tsp ground ginger, 1 tbsp curry powder and garlic. Pour in a can of chickpeas and one can of coconut milk and let simmer for 10 minutes. Eat over rice, quinoa or by itself.

1 can coconut milk

1 can chickpeas

2 cups chopped veggies such as broccoli, carrots, red bell peppers

2 cloves garlic

Red pepper flakes to taste

1 tsp ground ginger

1 tbsp curry powder

Olive oil

Vegetarian Goat Cheese Tartine

This became one of my staple lunch foods during time studying abroad in France. Tartines are the French version of open-faced sandwiches and its variations are endless. First, get a pot of water heating up to poach the eggs in. Just before you crack the eggs in, pop the bread in the toaster so it’ll be done right around the same times as the eggs. I prefer sourdough bread for tartines, but many different types will work. Poach the eggs for 2-3 minutes so they still have a runny center. When the bread is lightly toasted, spread a generous amount of goat cheese on top of each slice. Place a thick layer of bean sprouts on top of the cheese then carefully put a poached egg on each slice. Crack some sea salt over the tartines as a finishing touch.

2 slices sourdough bread

4 tbsps goat cheese

1 cup bean sprouts

2 eggs

Sea salt to taste

Pescetarian Salmon and kale brown rice bowl

This is one of my favorite new recipes I was inspired to recreate after eating a delicious version at a breakfast spot in Amsterdam. You can pack huge amounts of protein, vitamins, fiber and carbohydrates in one bowl for a well-balanced and delicious meal. First, get the brown rice started on the stove because that’s the most time-consuming part, it can take from 40 minutes to an hour. Then, choose your method of preparation for the salmon. In my opinion, poaching, baking and grilling would all work for this recipe. Season with salt and pepper. The next step is the most arduous: preparing the kale. Strip the leaves off the stem and cut into smaller pieces, then coat with olive oil, salt and pepper and massage together. Sauté the kale until it is softer but still bright green. Once the salmon, kale and brown rice have all finished cooking, throw it all in a bowl and top with your favorite dressing. Some of my favorite choices are a balsamic reduction or miso vinaigrette

1 salmon filet

2-3 cups of chopped kale

2 cups brown rice

Salt and pepper

Olive oil

Dressing of choice