Pasternack on the Past: "The Circus"

“The Circus” (1928) is a great introduction to Charlie Chaplin, one of the best early film comedians. If you think silent films are boring or too long, this 72-minute comedy will show you otherwise.

“The Circus” stars Chaplin’s iconic character “The Little Tramp,” an unnamed character dressed in large pants and a bowler hat who often gets himself into various misadventures only to emerge without a scratch.

In this film, The Little Tramp accidentally joins a circus. He becomes the star attraction and falls in love with the ringmaster’s stepdaughter. But when she falls in love with a tightrope walker, The Little Tramp 
realizes that he must change his act to impress her.

Chaplin was a man of many talents. He produced, wrote and directed “The Circus” in addition to starring in it. The version that is most popular today contains an energetic score that Chaplin wrote in 1967. It is partly for his multidisciplinary talents that Chaplin won a Special Oscar for this movie.

Like most of Chaplin’s films, “The Circus” has a lively sense of humor. Its elaborate visual gags had to have been carefully choreographed, but have such a spontaneous quality that they feel like they were improvised. This is due in part to Chaplin’s skill as an actor.

One of the best things about Chaplin’s performance is the way that he moves. His movements have a precision and a quickness that is hilarious to watch, and his gestures are often exaggerated to convey the great emotions that his character feels. While it might not work in today’s films, it works very well for acting in silent films.

Watching silent movies such as “The Circus” reminds me how thrilling it can be for a movie to not have dialogue. Silent film compels directors to be more innovative with how they compose their shots. There is something refreshing about movies that place such high importance on images.

This movie has some flaws — the part of The Little Tramp’s love interest is underwritten, and the way The Little Tramp resolves the central love triangle feels hard to believe — but “The Circus” is still one of Chaplin’s funniest comedies.

It is a great showcase for his brand of comedy and many filmmaking talents. The silent era of movies was home to many rich and different types of films, but this sprightly film is an excellent introduction to the lighter side of silent films.