IU's 2017 recruiting class ranked No. 4 in country

Men's Soccer vs. UCLA

The IU men’s soccer team finished the 2016 regular season ranked No. 9 in country under head coach Todd Yeagley. The Hoosiers record of 12-2-7 earned them a spot in the NCAA Tournament for the 30th consecutive season.

With last season in the books, Yeagley is set to reload his roster with a very talented recruiting class coming in. IU will have 10 new Hoosiers join the team for the new season in hopes of yet another solid year.

According to Top Drawer Soccer, IU will be bringing in the No. 4 ranked class in the nation. A few of the incoming freshmen have already started taking summer classes in Bloomington, some have played for their academy teams and others have suited up for their countries.

As these recruits prepare for the upcoming season of IU soccer, here’s a complete and detailed list of the incoming class of 2017.

John Bannec is a 6-foot, 165-pound defender from Bloomington. He was a two-time First Team All-Conference member and also made the All-State first team. As a two-year captain for Bloomington South High School, he helped his team secure four sectional championships and two regional titles. Bannec has been attending summer classes at IU and training on campus.

Kyle Barks is a 5-foot-11, 165-pound midfielder from St. Louis. A three-star recruit according to Top Drawer Soccer, Barks ranked as the No. 7 player in the Heartland Region. He spent four seasons with the St. Louis Scott Gallagher team in the U.S. Soccer Development Academy. He has also trained and played with various clubs in London and the Netherlands.

Griffin Dorsey is a 6-foot, 160-pound forward from Evergreen, Colorado. Top Drawer Soccer labeled him as a four-star recruit and ranked him as the No. 18 player. Top Drawer Soccer also has him ranked as the No. 1 player in the Rocky Mountains & Southwest Region and the No. 4 forward in the country. Dorsey has played three seasons with the Colorado Rush in the U.S. Soccer Development Academy. He was named to the U.S. U18 Men’s National Team and played with the team in Slovakia and Portugal.

Jacob Gruber is a 6-foot-1, 190-pound goalkeeper from Fishers, Indiana. A three-star recruit by Top Drawer Soccer, Gruber ranked as the No. 32 defender in the nation and the No. 12 player in the Great Lakes Region. He played two seasons at Cathedral High School in Indianapolis before playing his final two years for the Indiana Fire of the U.S. Soccer Development Academy. Gruber helped Cathedral win a state championship before departing from his team.

Jacob Meier is a 6-foot-2, 170-pound defender from Shakopee, Minnesota. Top Drawer Soccer had him as a three-star recruit, ranked the No. 4 player in the Midwest Region and the No. 24 defender in the country. Meier played four seasons with the Minnesota Thunder Academy while starting and playing in every minute of each match all four years. He was also a four-year team captain. Meier began training on campus after enrolling in summer classes at IU.

Trey Muse is a 6-foot-4, 195-pound goalkeeper from Louisville, Kentucky. He was ranked as the No. 88 recruit in the nation by College Soccer News. He has played for the Seattle Sounders FC in the U.S. Soccer Development Academy and is a member of the U.S. U18 Men’s National Team. This summer he was named the U.S. Soccer Development Academy West Conference U-17/18 Player of the Year.

Justin Rennicks is a 5-foot-11, 165-pound forward from Hamilton, Massachusetts. A four-star recruit by Top Drawer Soccer, Rennicks ranked as the No. 1 player in the Northeast Region and the No. 9 forward in the country. He played with the New England Revolution Academy where he was a three-time New England Revolution Player of the Year. This summer Rennicks trained in Germany and was selected to the U.S. U18 Men’s National Team.

Joe Schmidt is a 5-foot-8, 155-pound midfielder from Bainbridge Township, Ohio. Top Drawer Soccer has him ranked as a three-star recruit, the No. 7 player in the Great Lakes Region and the No. 45 midfielder in the country. Schmidt was a four-year starter on the USSDA Internationals Academy. He was a member of the U14 and U15 U.S. Youth National teams and was the captain of the U16 and U18 teams. He started attending summer classes at IU and is training on campus.

Mason Toye is a 6-foot-3, 180-pound forward from South Orange, New Jersey. He is a three-star recruit by Top Drawer Soccer, ranked as the No. 36 forward in the country and the No. 11 player in the New Jersey Region. Toye is member of the U19 U.S. Youth National Team and has trained with the U20 National Team in London. He was the 2016 State Player of the Year and was also a 2016 NSCAA All-America honoree. Toye has already enrolled in summer classes at IU and is training on campus.

Thomas Warr is a 5-foot-11, 175-pound forward from Zionsville, Indiana. Top Drawer Soccer has him as a three-star recruit, ranked as the No. 5 player in the Great Lakes Region and the No. 17 forward in the country. He played two seasons with Zionsville High School and played two seasons with the Indiana Fire of the U.S. Soccer Developmental Academy. As a freshman, Warr scored six goals and helped his team win the state championship. This summer he was named to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy Best XI Central Conference U-17/18 Team.

The Hoosiers will start the 2017 preseason with an exhibition game against Xavier on August 14 at home. The men’s regular season will begin with the Mike Berticelli Memorial Tournament in South Bend, Indiana, at 5 p.m. on August 25 against Cal Poly.