IU men’s tennis looking forward to rematch against Minnesota

Junior Raheel Manji waits for a Louisville serve during a match on Wednesday, Feb. 8 in the IU Tennis Center. Manji and the Hoosiers will take on Minnesota in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament starting Thursday.

IU junior Raheel Manji said a rematch with Minnesota in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament was the best thing that could have happened to IU — especially after the close 4-3 defeat the Golden Gophers handed the Hoosiers last Sunday at Minneapolis, even after the Hoosiers came up on top in the doubles point.

No. 9-seeded IU will have the opportunity to get No. 8 Minnesota back on neutral courts Thursday at West Lafayette, Indiana.

“We are so hungry to go and get them first of all,” Manji said. “Second of all we know their game so well now, and we know exactly what we want to do. If we went hard on them last time, we are going even harder this time.”

IU Coach Jeremy Wurtzman, like Manji, said after losing the close battle at Minnesota’s courts Sunday, it is a big opportunity to play them only four days later.

Wurtzman also said the Hoosiers had to play in front of almost 200 local fans Sunday, which in the end may have been an advantage for the Golden Gophers.

However this Thursday there will not be home court advantage for either team as the tournament is going to be held at Purdue’s Schwartz Tennis Center.

“I think it is great,” Wurtzman said. “For us it’s only a couple hours’ drive. We can get on the road Wednesday and get a good practice and not spend too much time traveling, which is nice. And then we can be very organized.”

The Hoosiers will arrive in West Lafayette with a 4-7 conference record. Meanwhile, their opponents ended the regular season with one more conference win.

For the upcoming matchup Wurtzman said it is going to be essential for IU to be strong and consistent right off the bat in the matchup.

He also said not only in the Big Ten Tournament, but any tournament for that matter, the doubles point will be crucial.

“No one really feels that comfortable in a neutral site and any momentum you can get going in your way can really be a favorite,” Wurtzman said. “We are going to try being very organized with our doubles.”

Other than doubles, Manji said it is going to be important for IU to be a unit in order to succeed and it has been important the younger members of the team have adapted well.

Wurtzman said the team showed it was a team Sunday by not only playing well but also cheering for each other, and if the Hoosiers are able to bring the same team environment from Sunday, that will bring the best out of them on the court.

IU’s matchup will be the first of the day Thursday at 9 a.m., which is the earliest time IU has played this season. The winner of the matchup will go on to face No. 1 seed Ohio State on Friday.

“We are taking it at one match at the time to start, and second of all we are going to go hungry,” Manji said. “This time it’s Minnesota. We will take it from there one day at the time.”