IU men's golf struggles in final regular season match

Sports Filler

Scoring was at a premium for all 15 men’s golf teams at Ohio State’s Kepler Intercollegiate this weekend, as no team managed to post a score below par for the tournament.

Sophomore Jake Brown’s final round 74 (+2) led IU on Sunday, and Brown finished in a tie for 34th in the tournament while the Hoosiers tied for 14th as a team with a final team score of 933 (+81). Illinois came in first during the weekend by shooting 864 (+12) as a team.

Brown had a rocky start to his final round by making three bogeys and one birdie in his first six holes but played his final 12 holes at one-over par to finish the 54-hole event with a score of 230.

After Saturday, Brown was one shot behind IU senior Andrew Havill and freshman Brock Ochsenreiter after his scores of 79 and 77 put him at 156.

The Hoosiers’ 36-hole score of 624 put them in 15th place going into Sunday, but they were just eight shots out of ninth place.

Havill and Ochsenreiter paced IU on day one by both finishing with a 36-hole score of 155 to tie for 42nd.

Havill was just two shots behind Brown for the tournament after his final-round score of 77 put him at 232 to tie for 39th. Ochsenreiter registered the third-best round of the day for IU with a final round 78 to tie for 45th.

With the regular season now complete, the Hoosiers’ next tee time will be in the Big Ten Tournament next weekend at the Baltimore Country Club.