crime & courts

Inebriated men arrested in separate accidental break-ins

Region Filler

This story has been updated to reflect information about dismissed charges.

In at least two reports of burglary or attempted break-ins during the Little 500 weekend, Bloomington residents lost nothing. 

In each case the only thing that appears to have gone missing was the culprit's sobriety.

In one case, a resident of the Cedarview Apartments at 509 E. 10th St. called police at about 2:30 a.m. Saturday to report an attempted forced entry, Bloomington Police Sgt. George Connolly said.

Responding police found a man, identified as Andrew Nover, 20, attempting to force his way into the apartment, which he may have believed was his, Connolly said. 

Nover, who was intoxicated, was arrested and charged with misdemeanors for criminal mischief, public intoxication, consumption of alcohol as a minor and resisting law enforcement.

The charges against Nover were dismissed in August after he agreed to complete community service and a substance abuse program. 

Another call, at about 4:30 a.m. Saturday, came from the 900 block of South Washington Street, where a resident reported a man had broken into his apartment. When officers arrived, they found the victim outside. The victim said a man had entered the apartment and told the victim to get out.

Using a K-9 unit, police apprehended 22-year-old Cyrus Andrews, whom Connolly said was also heavily intoxicated. Andrews was taken to Bloomington Hospital for treatment of injuries he sustained during the arrest. After he was released, he was taken to Monroe County Correctional Center and charged with residential entry, a felony, and criminal mischief, a misdemeanor.

Andrews told police he did not believe he had been inside the apartment.