COLUMN: College fashion guided by certain principles

Let me get a few things straight. When I say something is a “don’t,” I mean please do not under any circumstances think that a certain outfit is OK and try to rationalize that particular outfit choice.

DON’T: You have an 8 a.m. Spanish class. While you are getting dressed, you throw on whatever you can find in the dark. This brings us to the groutfit, or gray outfit.

Let me be the, hopefully not first, to say that groutfits are never OK and should never be worn outside the confines of your own home where hopefully no one of importance will ever see.

Monochromatic outfits are only OK when worn as a two-piece blazer and skirt or trouser suit. We typically see this look on red carpets for different events, where the celebrity has been professionally styled.

DO: Instead of a groutfit to your early class, throw on a pair of black leggings, a hopefully not navy shirt, a simple t-shirt and a pair of Nikes.

DON’T: Blavying, mixing black and navy together, makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

This outfit is not and will never be acceptable, and all violators of this shall be sent directly to Stacy London and Clinton Kelly from “What Not to Wear.” Do not pass "Go." The colors are too similar. The same rules apply when it comes to mixing black and brown.

DO: If you have anavy shirt that you are just absolutely dying to wear, pair it with gray leggings instead of black.

DON’T: I hate wearing white after Labor Day, but this fashion rule is quickly becoming outdated and really only applies to people who do not live in Florida or California.

The rule says no white pants, shoes or bags should be worn after Labor Day and before Memorial Day. White is seen as a summer color and trying to mix it into your fall or winter wardrobe usually does not translate. Save the white capris for the spring, summer and winter vacations only.

DO: Light wash denim is perfect for the fall and transition between winter and spring. Pair these with an outfit where you would usually wear white pants in the spring or summer. As for bags, nothing looks better on a hot summer day than a crisp, white Kate Spade bag, but try a hot pink or red until those warm days are here again.

Fashion is ever changing and so are the rules that come along with it. Most fashion experts would say that most, if not all of these rules, are antiquated. Whether you agree with them or not, if you are going to blavy, your best bet is to be confident while doing it.