Diane Coffee plans appearance at The Back Door

Arts Filler

Bloomington’s primary LGBT club invites patrons to “come celebrate the space and yourselves and all the ridiculousness that can only happen at The Back Door” on their Facebook page.

The Back Door plans a variety of programming throughout the year, and will be celebrating its four-year anniversary starting at 8 p.m. Saturday with a night of performances, dance parties, gifts and giveaways.

Co-owner and Arts and Entertainment Director for The Back Door, Nicci B., said she appreciates the sense of family and belonging that usually comes with their anniversary parties.

“What always excites me most about our anniversary parties is the opportunity for the community to celebrate themselves and the space they’ve all helped create,” Nicci B. said. “The room is usually packed with familiar faces.”

Headlining the performance is Western Vinyl artist and former Bloomington resident Diane Coffee, otherwise known as Shaun Fleming.

A former child 
Disney voice star and current drummer for the experimental pop project Foxygen, Fleming released his debut album, “My Friend Fish,” after being confined to his new apartment in New York City for several weeks.

His second album, 2015 release “Everybody’s a Good Dog,” was a technicolor explosion of the ‘60s-inspired bubblegum psychedelia of his first record.

Inspired by his relocation to Bloomington from New York City, “Everybody’s a Good Dog” featured a variety of musicians and instruments recorded in studios across the country — including the Blockhouse Studios in Bloomington.

The night will also include a performance of “pop-up drag-a-viciousness.”

The drag performance will feature Argenta Perón, Patricia Yolonda, also known as Pat Yo, Weave and the bar’s co-owners, Smoove G. and Nicci B.

“(We) started performing together our second anniversary as a silly ‘thank you’ to our patrons and supporters,” Nicci B said. “It went over really well, so it’s a tradition now, I suppose.”

After the night’s 
performances, resident mixer DJ Pixie will be spinning tunes for a dance party until the end of the night’s festivities. 
 Guests will also receive a free gift at the door after the $5 cover.

Guests can expect giveaways and drink specials for the celebration.

While it may be labeled a “gay bar,” Nicci B. said she feels the atmosphere of The Back Door acts more like a microcosm of support and love.

“There are plenty of folks we call family that may not personally identify with the sexuality or gender 
politics of Queerness, but have found in us a place where they, for any number of reasons, feel accepted and supported rather than othered,” she said.

No matter how they identify, guests of Saturday’s show can expect to have a good time.

“People should expect glitter, giveaways and good music,” Nicci B said. “Wear dancin’ shoes and bring cab money, duh.”