administration

Robel announced as third candidate for chancellor at University of Hawaii

castate

The University of Hawaii at Manoa announced Wednesday that IU Provost and Executive Vice President Lauren Robel is the third finalist for the chancellor position.

Robel was chosen for the final round of selection last October when the other two finalists were announced, according to a University of Hawaii press release. At the time, Robel was unable to accept the invitation. 

Before Robel was appointed to the Provost position in 2012, she served as Dean of the Maurer School of Law.

Robel is expected to attend a series of meetings and interviews on the Manoa campus Jan. 23 and 24, according to the university. The Office of the Provost at IU declined to comment. 

The other two finalists for the chancellor position are John V. White JNand Sonny Ramaswamy. White served as Vice President and Provost of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas before being appointed acting chancellor of Nevada System of Higher Education. Ramaswamy is President Barack Obama’s appointee to director of the National Institute of Food and Agriculture, which operates under the USDA. 

“The Search Advisory Committee is delighted that the campus community will have the opportunity to meet a third outstanding candidate, and looks forward to receiving their comments,” said Search Advisory Committee Co-Chair David Karl, in the release. 

Jesse Naranjo