Events begin in IMU

Hui Lin and Linlin Sun spent their time between classes the first day of the semester hanging out together and playing pool in the Indiana Memorial Union.

The IMU is set to be host to some Winter Welcome Week events — everything from bowling, poster sales and career fairs. All these events are to welcome students back from break and into the new semester.

Jason Baran has been working the IMU poster sale for seven years now. He said he spends a week and a half making all the poster selections and manual preparations himself, but he works with a network for ideas.

“There are actually a bunch of us who do this. We collaborate,” he said. “We have connections with Netflix and HBO, so they send us info on which shows and movies are trending.”

Baran explained many people in his line of work live in New York when they are not traveling selling posters. On top of that, those in the business are into the music scene, so they have a pretty good idea of what music people are getting into Baran said.

Some residence halls are hesitating to organize events for students.

“With it being a new semester, it is better to let people get accustomed to their schedules,” said Manny Cantu, a Teter Quad resident assistant. “Since most residents are freshmen, it is best to let them sort out their timing and how things are going to work.”

Residence halls do not usually have annual events because each year for them is different, said Genevieve Labe, Willkie Quad assistant residence manager. The events depend on what the students are interested in and what the CommUnityEducators wants to cover.

“This year our CUE seems to enjoy collaborating with others,” Labe said. “The residents seem to be more excited, and there is more energy than in previous years.”

Labe explained the RAs are responsible for planning their own events, though they can consult with her and ask questions about their events. At this point in the year the RAs’ jobs become easier.

The goal in the first semester was to get the floor to form a community and make friends, but by second semester they have already done that, Cantu said. This helps take off the pressure to plan events.

Right now, Cantu and his fellow RAs are creating bulletin boards and planning door decorations. Cantu said this board is better than his previous boards because he had more time to plan and think about it over the break.

As far as events for this semester Cantu explained the installation of a television on the floor would be helpful because more events could be planned around it. It has been a point of contention among his residents so it will be good for building community.