"Emerging Artist Juried Student Art Show" will celebrate high school artists

A piece by Michelle Zou, one of the high school students showing their work starting Friday in the Venue Fine Arts & Gifts as part of the Emerging Artist Juried Art Show. 

The Venue Fine Art & Gifts opens its latest show Friday with the aim of celebrating up-and-coming artists.

The fourth annual Emerging Artist Juried Student Art Show will begin at 6 p.m. Friday, and feature artwork created by students from Bloomington high schools North and South.

Gabe Colman, curator of the Venue, said the works in this year’s show will not disappoint.

“I would say the level of finish is just amazing,” Colman said. “Even at such a young age, it’s impressive what these young artists can produce.”

Colman, a graduate of Bloomington High School North, said his arts education was formative.

“I wouldn’t be where or who I am in arts if not for my experience with art in high school,” Colman said. “It was always in the back of my mind, and now I have the opportunity to bring a spotlight on what is going on in the arts department for North and South.”

The gallery will display the works created by high school students for the next two weeks. During that time, the pieces will be judged by a panel of mystery art experts from inside and outside the gallery, and prizes will be awarded to the pieces the panel selects within each medium. An award ceremony will take place on Jan. 29.

Not only was the goal to display the artwork, but also to provide the opportunity to see how artists interact with galleries.

Colman said he did not learn methods for showcasing art in a gallery setting during his high school art education, so when he conceptualized this event he wanted to make sure that was a component.

“All the time studying art in high school, I missed the parts about connecting with art galleries and how to prepare my work in a way to market it,” Colman said. “This event is about presenting and giving students a way to think about arts marketing.”

The Bloomington Watercolor Society, along with the National Society of Arts and Letters, the Bloomington North Rotary and Pygmalion’s Art Supplies, will sponsor this year’s show.

Jeanne Dutton, a member of the watercolor society, said this type of presentation falls in line with the overarching goals of BWS.

“The Bloomington Watercolor Society has a mission to educate and support fellow artists,” Dutton said in an email. “We are proud to be a sponsor of the Emerging Artist exhibit, a wonderful opportunity for high school students.”

Colman said arts work in many ways, and that high school is the key time to hone in on and celebrate those skills.

“I’m a huge advocate for arts and education systems, and I think that art provides a tremendous outlet for students at an important age,” Colman said. “It allows them to connect with the arts and find maybe a non-traditional outlet for their talents.”

People should attend the show to see work by students who are beyond their experience level, Colman said.

“It’s artwork that’s absolutely worthy of attention and critique, and it’s important to validate this form of expression,” Colman said.