COLUMN: The DNC elected Donald Trump

Since Donald Trump’s surprising and controversial win Tuesday night, the internet has been in an uproar about how it’s possible he won. Some people are blaming low voter turnout. Others are blaming third-party voters. However, the real reason why Trump is now our president-elect is the Democratic National Committee.

This election season was rife with populism. Americans believe establishment politicians across the political spectrum are abusing citizens for personal gain. They don’t represent our actual desires, and we’ve grown tired of it.

When the DNC had primaries to decide who would represent the party in the presidential election, it was an absolute farce. Sen. Bernie Sanders, D-Vermont, had no chance to win despite strong grassroots support indicating he was favored. The DNC rigged the primaries in order to give Hillary Clinton the nomination because they figured she couldn’t possibly lose to Trump.

Rather than allow democracy to select a candidate, Democratic elites deliberately tried to force the United States to accept Clinton. Not only is this a complete mockery of everything we stand for as a nation, it was just plain stupid. The establishment decided it was her turn on the throne. Unfortunately for many Americans, the DNC’s corruption led to the nomination of a completely unfit candidate.

Clinton is the only person who could have lost to Trump this election. She’s an elitist who tries to seem holier-than-thou on so many issues that it makes my head spin. In an election so heavily fueled by populism, this strategy is anything but effective. Americans didn’t want more of the same political drudgery from Washington, D.C., and that’s exactly what Clinton and the DNC promised to deliver us.

Trump did everything he could to lose. He’s made outlandish remarks about minorities, women, other politicians and just about any other demographic you can imagine. He has very little poise and almost no tact, but Clinton’s robotic, forced mannerisms and feeble attempts to be relatable alienated her from a dizzying number of voters.

Democrats could have had Sanders. I disagree with almost all his policies, but he undeniably appeals to a populist America. He’s so unlike many of the other politicians who take advantage of us. Americans saw Sanders as relatable and trustworthy, but the DNC decided we would be force-fed Clinton and that we would be too stupid to do anything about it.

Americans aren’t as stupid as they made us out to be.

We can’t know for sure whether Sanders would have beaten Trump, but in a race between a polarizing man of the people and a robotic autocrat, the man of the people won.

If you’re a Republican, be sure to send the DNC a thank-you letter. They’ve earned it.

If you’re a Democrat, please realize who did this to you. The superdelegate nomination system is a broken one that invites political corruption and leads to nonrepresentative candidates. Your party is the reason Trump is going to be the 45th president.