We've redesigned our website, please let us know what you think.

BFC clarifies bylaw on liaisons

Loria Duggan takes notes on her iPad about the Executive Committee Business.

Council liaisons act as communicators, sharing information from the school that pertains to the council. Liaisons are elected by the Nominations Committee for schools with more than one representative, and those involved with the school’s policy committees are generally preferred. For the College of Arts and Sciences, the representative is elected from the college at large. This was made clear in the revision.

“The primary purpose of the proposed revision was to clarify language,” said Colin Johnson, parliamentarian and chair of the Constitution and Rules 
Committee.

He told the council there had been confusion with the previous wording. In the revision, the role and election of liaisons is explained in more detail.

Johnson told the council that concerns had been raised by representatives from new schools at IU about if the proposed structure is sufficient.

Three weeks ago, professor Jon Simons requested to postpone the vote until a later date. Simons works in the College of Arts and Sciences, and because the revision specifically mentions this college, he asked for more time to speak with his colleagues. The vote was postponed Tuesday’s meeting.

“I feel in some ways I should apologize to this body in this was the reason we didn’t vote on this last time,” Simons said. “I wanted more time to consort with my school’s policy council.”

Johnson told the council if the revision was not passed, the Nominations Committee would have to interpret the bylaw as it was written, which was the reason the revision was made.

After a brief questioning period, the council voted and passed the revision. In other business, some of the BFC Standing Committee Chairs gave updates to the council.

Comments