arts performances

'Raging funk' band to return to its Bloomington roots

The Main Squeeze

In the last month alone, Los Angeles-based band the Main Squeeze has performed in 11 states. Now the band — self-described as a raging funk experience — is set to return to its roots Friday night at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

The Main Squeeze once drew large crowds of IU students in Bloomington, where it came together in 2010. Today, its fan base includes those who have heard the group live at Bonnaroo, Electric Forest and Summer Camp festivals, among 
others.

The quintet is expected to perform songs from their latest album, “Mind Your Head,” which was produced in 2015 by American Idol’s Randy Jackson.

“The band is looking forward to playing some old classics as well as debuting some new squeeze to show our hometown crowd what we’ve been cooking up in L.A.,” lead vocalist Corey Frye said.

Citing influences such as Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Wonder, the Main Squeeze has picked up several accolades since formation: an invitation to open for the Roots at the 2012 Superbowl tailgate party and first prize in the Venetian Macau International Jazz & Blues Competition in China.

Buskirk-Chumley Associate Director Rebecca Stanze said she expects the theater to be full.

“There’s great potential for a high turnout here, especially with the nostalgia factor,” she said.

Frye, an alumnus of the Jacobs School of Music, said he hopes to bring fans back to their house concert days.

“We’re very excited to be returning back to Bloomington for homecoming weekend,” Frye said. “IU was the beginning of our musical journey as a band, and with all five members being alums or students of the school, Bloomington holds a special place in all of our hearts.”