COLUMN: IU football's defensive changes paying off

Junior linebacker Marcus Oliver, 44, tackles Michgian State quaterback Tyler O'Connor during the first quarter of play.

This IU defense is 
different.

New defensive coordinator Tom Allen was a positive change, but it seemed like it would take time to see improvements. Instead, the rapid transformation helped IU knock off Michigan State.

Against MSU, the defense had as much of a part in winning the game as the offense did — especially considering its two overtime sacks helped hold Michigan State to no points and aid an IU offense that struggled at times.

The numbers show IU wouldn’t have won this game with last year’s defense.

In 2015, the Hoosiers gave up 37.6 points per game. This season, it’s just 21.8 points per game, which is good for 40th in the nation.

“Obviously we still have some small things to work on as a unit,” junior linebacker Tegray Scales said. “Overall, flying to the ball and making plays, we did well at that.”

There’s still room for improvement with this defense, especially when it comes to giving up explosive plays. Through four games, IU has given up 17 plays of 20 yards or more. While that’s down from last year, 23 through four games, IU can improve.

“The toughness and effort has been encouraging,” Allen said. “I still think there are too many mistakes.”

Allen said he is pleased with many things the defense is doing but wants to continued development of its ability to adjust in-game.

The defense’s dramatic metamorphosis under Allen has changed IU’s identity. Instead of needing to score 40 points a game to win, the offense can feed off the defense and score enough points to beat good teams.

“Watching them fly around gives us a ton of confidence,” senior wide receiver Mitchell Paige said. “I can’t speak for the coaches, but at least for me I don’t feel like we got to score, got to score, got to score. We can take more shots, go down the field. We don’t have to get in track meets every week. They have our back most of the time more than we have theirs.”

When IU’s offense struggled to find the end zone Saturday, IU Coach Kevin Wilson said he knew he could count on the defense. That’s a welcome change and shifts how this offense operates. They can be more aggressive knowing they have a good defense behind them. They also can be less aggressive because they know their defense can keep them in the game, as they were against Michigan State early.

The Hoosiers finally have a complete team.

“When we play as a team, and we know that they’ve got our back, we’ve got their back, it’s really important,” sophomore wide receiver Luke Timian said. “It gives us confidence and gives them confidence.”

Don’t fall off the bandwagon after the Ohio State game. OSU quarterback J.T. Barrett is talented and offers a skill set IU has yet to see this year. The Buckeyes will score in bunches, but that doesn’t mean there’s something wrong with IU’s defense.

Four games into Allen’s tenure and things look vastly improved on defense. Just imagine what this defense will look when he gets a chance to recruit and continue to develop the talent currently on the roster.