COLUMN: Pro-Israel stances are a unifying force

This election cycle has been extremely divisive for Americans across the country. Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are both candidates that have brought out strong feelings among the electorate. Sensationalized media coverage plays into this vicious cycle of strong feelings of disillusionment and anger.

This is natural to a degree, though. Presidential election years normally polarize the nation more than usual. Even if this year is worse than the norm, there has been one issue that has been seen unwavering support from both major parties and their nominees.

That issue is the relationship between the United States and Israel. As someone who cares deeply about this issue, I’m elated this is the case.

Both Trump and Clinton have been outspokenly pro-Israel from the beginning. One example of this unity is the fact that they both spoke at the America Israel Public Affairs Committee Policy Conference this year. As someone who witnessed both addresses in person, it was comforting to see both candidates speak of the importance of a strong U.S. and Israel relationship.

For starters, Israel is key for U.S. foreign policy in the Middle East. Simply put, it’s a stabilizing force in an increasingly tumultuous region that the U.S. has vested interest in managing. Furthermore, the two nations share counter-terrorism information and help each other develop more advanced weaponry.

As the Syrian crisis continues to be a major global issue, the U.S. benefits from having a strong ally in the region. Israel is also in the direct vicinity of Iran, which continues to be a negative actor in the Middle East. Israel, backed by the U.S., is a powerful check on Iran and whatever may happen in Syria.

Also, America is a huge market for Israeli goods, and vice versa. In 2012, the two countries’ goods-and-services trade totaled over $45 billion. Israel is also a hotbed for the tech market, with many major technology firms from all over the world opening offices and research and development facilities within its borders.

To put it simply, a strong U.S.-Israel relationship is mutually beneficial. I am very happy that Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, as well as Democrats and Republicans alike, realize this fact. According to Trump, the 2016 GOP platform is the most pro-Israel ever.

Unfortunately, the state of the relationship between the two states has been rocky in the past few years of the Obama administration. However, I suspect that this will change after the next president takes office.

No matter who is elected president or which party controls the House of Representatives and Senate, it is imperative from the American standpoint that the U.S.-Israel relationship is actively nourished and cultivated. Not only is support for a strong U.S.-Israel relationship a good example of sensible and pragmatic foreign policy, but it is good politics at home as well.

Although the politics of the election may continue to be incredibly divisive, the one policy point that will bring both parties together is a strong U.S.-Israel relationship.