crime & courts

Anarchists vandalize new Democrat office

Marcella Jewel speaks at the rally Wednesday night to launch the local Hillary Clinton campaign quarters. Jewel is the state director in Indiana for Clinton’s campaign.

An anarchist group vandalized the Democratic Party’s office at 501 N. Walnut St. at approximately 1:15 p.m. Thursday afternoon.

The group destroyed 
office supplies, put the 
office’s American flag in the toilet, harassed volunteers and stole food, said Daniel Wallace, a field organizer for the Democratic Party.

Only four volunteers, all under the age of 22, were at the office when the vandalism occurred.

The anarchists were surprised that all of the volunteers were of student age, Wallace said.

The group was 
unaffiliated with the Republican party, and they threw around flyers promoting their campaign claiming that the American prison system is a slavery system, he said.

This vandalism occurred the day after the Bloomington for Hillary launch party at the Democratic Party’s new office.

The office is home to the 
campaigns of Hillary Clinton, Evan Bayh, John Gregg and local Democratic 
candidates.

Mark Fraley, chair of the Democratic Party of Monroe County, said that volunteers went right back to making calls to voters following the harassment and vandalism.

“We know that this 
election is not just about electing a president, it is about the character of our country,” Fraley said. “We can all do our part to look out for one another rather than tear each other down.”