One IU freshman may see time on an already experienced offensive line

spIUFBvsSIU

Greg Frey said he coaches every one of his 16 offensive linemen so they’re ready to play come game day.

That’s what IU’s offensive line coach said he wants. He said he wants them all to play a part for the Hoosiers and have a major role in 2016.

Whether or not they’re ready is another matter.

Freshman Coy Cronk, an Indiana native out of Central Catholic in Lafayette, Indiana, may be ready.

“Coy’s coming in with a little bit of a mature attitude,” Frey said in reference to Cronk’s approach to practice and learning the offense. “He seems more like a second-year guy than a first-year guy.”

Frey said Cronk has seen time at both left and right tackle and participated in special teams formations. He likely won’t start, as sophomore Brandon Knight and senior Dimitric Camiel appear to have left and right tackle spots, respectively, locked, but Cronk has played at a level that’s pushed him into the conversation for playing time.

In the past, Frey said he’s used an eight-man rotation, similar to what NFL teams use. While Cronk’s role may still be up for determination, senior Wes Rodgers said he sees the potential.

“He bends really well, and he’s really trying to learn the offense as best he can,” Rodgers said. “You can tell that he really cares and wants to know. He hasn’t really, you know — it’s a huge jump coming from high school to college. It’s just a completely different game. That takes a little bit to adjust to, but I think he’s done real well in his first camp.”

Rodgers is one of four fifth-year seniors who may be in the rotation this fall, alongside guards Dan Feeney and Jacob Bailey and tackle Camiel. They lead a very experienced group that’s been readily replenished by athletic lineman Frey has been recruiting.

Camiel said Cronk’s athleticism jumps out because he’s fresh out of high school and includes him with fellow freshman MacKenzie Nworah as newcomers who have started their careers in Bloomington on the right foot.

“They’re doing pretty good, still have to learn, as does everybody, but they’re doing well,” Camiel said. “Learning the offense is probably the hardest thing coming in first, so they’ve really kind of embraced it, asking questions and doing stuff like that.”

The progress the line has made as a whole has impressed Rodgers, who is looking to take the starting job at center that he’s shared with others since his freshman season. He described IU’s front line as completely different from the group that started camp a couple weeks ago.

As camp winds down, Frey said he is determined to put together a group that allows his seniors to go out on a high note. The goal, of course, is a 15-0 record. Cronk has impressed so far during camp, but it’s clear he won’t just be given a spot in the rotation.

Frey said he still needs to see more.

“We’ll find out. We’ll see. We’re not there yet,” Frey said. “We’ve still got a long ways to go. We’re getting better, we’re getting our legs back, we’re getting into it, but we’re still not ready.”