Oliver Winery owners receive highest tourism award in Indiana

ciOliver

Oliver Winery owners Bill and Kathleen Oliver are this year’s recipients of the Will Koch Indiana Tourism Leadership Award, Lt. Gov. Eric Holcomb and the Indiana Office of Tourism Development announced Friday.

As part of the annual Hoosier Hospitality Awards at the Indiana State Fair, Holcomb presented the award, which is considered the highest tourism honor given in the state of Indiana.

The award is named for the late Will Koch, long-time owner and president of Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari. IOTD and the Koch family established the award to pay tribute to Will Koch’s many meaningful contributions to tourism, business and society, according to a press release.

“What an honor,” Kathleen said in the release. “We’ve been to Holiday World many times, so we understand the story of Will Koch and the family, the family traditions and the business. We are honored to be in that same realm of what hospitality and tourism means and leadership within the state.”

Oliver Winery is Indiana’s oldest winery. The business opened in 1972, a year after William Oliver, Bill’s father, contributed to the writing and passage of legislation that allowed for the creation of wineries in Indiana.

Bill took over the winery in 1983. He focused on enhancing the visitor experience by increasing wine quality and variety, according to the release.

“We’ve got a great place to grow grapes in Indiana,” Bill said in the release. “You put all that together with Hoosier hospitality, it’s a real winner for visitors.”

In 1993, Kathleen joined the winery as general 
manager. Since, the couple has grown the winery as a tourist destination.

“Kathleen and I are born hosts,” Bill said in the release. “We like to entertain. We like to make people feel welcome. I think we’re also students of the hospitality industry. We pay attention to best practices and a lot of it is just the golden rule: treat others as you’d like to be treated.”

Bill and Kathleen also donate their time and resources to a variety of 
charitable local arts and nonprofit organizations, according to the release.

“It is a pleasure to recognize Kathleen and Bill Oliver for all they’ve done for Indiana throughout their careers,” Holcomb said. “They have created something special at Oliver Winery and have been instrumental in putting Indiana wine-making on the national scene.”

Nominations for the Will Koch Indiana Tourism Leadership Award are submitted by community leaders and members of Indiana’s travel, tourism and hospitality industry.

Submissions are reviewed by a panel comprised of representatives from Purdue University, the Indiana State Fair, Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari, Grow Indiana Media Ventures, the Indiana Restaurant and Lodging Association and state tourism leaders. Eight members make up the panel.

Winners are recognized for outstanding accomplishments in economic and community development through tourism.

Holcomb and IOTD also presented 18 representatives of the tourism industry with the Hoosier Hospitality Award for their high level of service in tourism-related jobs at hotels, restaurants, attractions and other destinations.

Nominations for Hoosier Hospitality Awards are submitted by community members and destination patrons. Nominations are reviewed and winners are selected by IOTD.

Outstanding service is a major factor in determining whether a person returns to an individual business or destination, according to 
the release.

“The Olivers are shining examples of the great leadership that exists within the Indiana tourism industry,” Mark Newman, executive director of IOTD, said in the release. “They, together with our Hoosier Hospitality Award recipients, represent the best of our state from this important industry.”