Printmaking MFA rededicates to her studio practice

A recent collage by Kristy Hughes titled "Like Christmas."

Kristy Hughes, a graduate of IU’s Printmaking MFA program, is a local artist currently in residence at the Stutz Art Association in 
Indianapolis.

Hughes received her Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts from Eastern Illinois University before enrolling at IU. She finished her Printmaking MFA coursework and thesis in 2014, but deferred her graduation for a year. Hughes said this was a requirement of the Future Faculty Teaching Fellowship that had been awarded to her.

Through the fellowship, Hughes taught at Butler University during the 2014-15 academic year. She taught drawing, relief printmaking and perspective in the 
creative arts.

“My favorite was relief printmaking,” she said. “Printmaking was the reason I decided to go into art and it was an honor to share my favorite medium with others.”

Though Hughes taught classes at IU alongside her MFA coursework, she said her time at Butler gave her a new perspective on teaching art.

”My time at Butler reaffirmed my love for teaching, but it also taught me the importance of maintaining a studio practice outside of school and how to manage my time,” Hughes said. “It made me realize that my studio practice is my highest priority.”

After Butler, Hughes participated in a summer residency at the Vermont Studio Center. She then bounced around working as a barista, doing commissions and making frames to earn extra money.

Hughes returned to teaching this past September. She picked up classes at DePauw University and Ivy Tech Community College while still maintaining a 
productive studio practice.

“I tried to find things that were creative and also flexible enough to allow for ample studio time,” she said.

Hughes currently has a studio space in Indianapolis through her residency at the Stutz Art Association. She has been working there since October 2015 and will leave in September once her residency ends.

Hughes said she intends to make the most of her studio space while she has it.

“I am in my studio at least three times a week,” she said. “I make it a priority to not bring anything else to do while I’m there. So, no computer, books or other work. Because of this dedicated studio time, I’ve been able to push myself and to make work that continually surprises and challenges me.”

Hughes explained this dedicated work ethic is something she has developed since leaving IU. She said in grad school she had no choice but to create work and having a community of friends and mentors made this much easier.

“Since grad school, I’ve taken the initiative to continue to learn and to push myself,” she said. “I’ve learned to prioritize my time in my studio, and to be my own critic and cheerleader.”

However, Hughes admits she still gets stuck from time to time and is thankful she can turn to the life-long friends she made in grad school.

Next, Hughes has a two-person show and several commissions to work on. She also said she has applied to residencies for the fall and winter.

“My main goal is to keep searching and to always be making and pushing myself in my studio,” she said.