New director of Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center appointed

Monica Green

Monica Green has been appointed as the new director of the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center.

Green, who is currently the director of the Hanover College Haq Center for Cross Cultural Education, will begin her new position at IU on March 14, according to an IU press release.

Having received her Bachelor of Arts degree from Vanderbilt University and her Master of Science degree in higher education administration from Mississippi College, Green is also currently the associate director of Student Life for Multicultural Affairs and the director of the Benjamin Templeton Scholarship Program at Hanover.

Yolanda Treviño, assistant vice president for strategy, planning and assessment in the IU Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity and Multicultural Affairs, said she is thrilled Green accepted the position.

“She was quickly identified as a top candidate by the search and screen committee, chaired by Christina Wright-Fields, because of her leadership and robust set of accomplishment,” Treviño said in the release. “I know she will build a rapport with students, connect with faculty and staff, reach out to the alumni and build collaborations with the community.”

The Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center contributes to the educational, cultural and psychosocial development of students in contexts of racial and social justice along with the help of University partners.

As the director of the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center, Green will be responsible for “advancing the University’s strategic plan and commitment to student success” through managing projects, events, community outreach and more for the center, according to the release.

“Her thoughtful problem-solving and innovative orientation are welcomed at the Neal-Marshall Center,” Treviño said in the release. “The credentials and experience she brings will quickly build upon the foundation and efforts of previous directors.”

Green has served as associate director and assistant director of admissions at Hanover, and has also served as an admissions counselor in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and as activities coordinator in the Office of Alumni Relations at Vanderbilt University.

Green is currently pursuing Ph.D. studies in higher education leadership from Azusa Pacific University in Azusa, California.

Eric Love, a former diversity education director as IU, said he believes Green will have a great experience at IU.

“I am very excited for her in the new role,” Love said. “My advice for her is that students need a voice for advocacy and compassion.”