​IU routs Illinois for 11th straight win, 103-69

Senior guard Kevin "Yogi" Ferrell takes the ball down the court against Illinois on Tuesday at Assembly Hall. The Hoosiers won 103-69.

Senior guard Yogi Ferrell broke the IU all-time career assists record Tuesday night — and that only begins to tell the story.

With 19 3-pointers, the Hoosiers also set the record for 3-pointers in a game.

They scored more than 100 points in a Big Ten game for the first time in more than three years.

They also extended their win streak to 11 games, remaining a perfect 6-0 in conference play after defeating Illinois 103-69 in Assembly Hall.

“They take every opponent very, very serious and that’s exactly what we did with Illinois,” IU Coach Tom Crean said. “This was a great win for us because of the 
respect level we have for them.”

A solid defensive performance combined with a 53 percent effort from 3-point range allowed IU to maintain a comfortable lead 
throughout the game.

That lead grew to 37 points in the second half.

Despite 11 turnovers, when the Hoosiers made a mistake, they were able to make up for it on the 
defensive end.

The Hoosiers forced the Illini into 15 turnovers and a 39 percent field goal 
percentage.

Players agreed the positive change in their defense is a difference in mindset — they’re setting a new standard for themselves 
defensively.

“We’re a lot clearer on what we want to do,” senior forward Max Bielfeldt said.

“I think we just really worked on that in practice, just harped on the small things and playing defense as a unit. We just worked on it enough that we’re becoming the defensive team we want to be.”

On the other end, nine different Hoosiers converted from beyond the arc.

Ferrell led the team with five 3-pointers of his own, while the game was capped off by Harrison Niego’s 3-pointer, IU’s 19th and a single-game record.

Even freshman center Thomas Bryant and senior forward Max Bielfeldt, who don’t normally roam the perimeter, hit three treys of their own.

“It’s not like we come out and that’s our game plan, just to shoot 3’s,” junior forward Troy Williams said. “We just shoot the open shots. It’s just shooting the right shot at the right time.”

Almost every player had a hand in the Hoosiers’ 11th-consecutive win. Sophomore guard Rob Johnson, Ferrell, Bielfeldt and Williams all scored in double digits, led by Williams’ 21.

Twenty-seven of IU’s 37 completed field goals Tuesday were 
assisted. Ferrell neared a double-double with 16 points and nine 
assists.

On Tom Crean’s weekly radio show Monday night, Collin Hartman said this is the closest-knit Indiana team he’s been a part of.

Ferrell agreed there’s chemistry with this squad he hasn’t seen in a few years.

That was evident Tuesday night with smiles all around — freshman forward OG Anunoby danced after he threw down a reverse dunk that forced Illinois to call a timeout.

Now, the trick is playing with a target on their backs, Ferrell said.

As Ferrell walked to the bench Tuesday night for the final time, Crean took a moment to congratulate and recognize his point guard.

He took Ferrell’s arm and raised it high in the air.

“He is without question usually one of the last guys off (the court), and most importantly he’s always finding ways to get back on,” Crean said.