IU brings in new defensive coordinator with Indiana ties, Brian Knorr will not return

Sports filler image

From IDS reports

The IU defense is in transition yet again. Defensive coordinator Brian Knorr will not return and Indianapolis native Tom Allen was named as his replacement 
Saturday.

Allen comes to IU after spending the 2015 season as the defensive coordinator for South Florida. Before that, he spent three seasons as the linebacker coach at Ole Miss.

“I did not know Tom personally, but was aware of his background and reached out to him when we decided to make a change,” IU Coach Kevin Wilson said. “We made an immediate connection. Tom will bring a ton of energy and strong leadership, and our kids will play hard. This is a positive addition as we continue to take to our program to the next level.”

Knorr is out after two seasons with the Hoosiers. He came from Wake Forest with his 3-4 defensive scheme, but IU ranked 11th and 14th in the Big Ten in total defense over that stretch.

“Looking at where we are at as a program, we determined it is time for new defensive leadership as we move into the 2016 season and continue to build our program,” Wilson said.

During his one season at South Florida, Allen installed a 4-2-5 defensive scheme that is designed to get the most out of speed and athleticism.

The Bulls experienced improvement during his lone season, moving up to fourth in the American Athletic Conference in total defense. South Florida also had 17 interceptions and finished second in the 
conference with 34 sacks.

“We thank Tom for the energy and contributions he brought to our program over the last year and we wish him well as he 
continues his career,” South Florida Coach Willie Taggart said in a statement.

Allen has plenty of Indiana ties. He attended New Castle High School and served as head coach at Ben Davis High School from 2004 to 2006. He earned his master’s degree from IU as well.

Allen played a large part in the initial verbal commitment of former Ben Davis safety and one-time IU player Antonio Allen to Ole Miss when Tom Allen was an assistant with the Rebels.

Those ties may come in handy when looking at the relationships he has built in the area already. Current Ben Davis Coach Mike Kirschner worked under Allen for seven years at Ben Davis. Kirschner said his and Allen’s families went on vacations together. When Kirschner had an opportunity to take a head coaching job in 2007, Allen told him not to because Allen was going to be leaving for Wabash and Kirschner would be in line for his position.

“He’s got an unbelievable grasp or knowledge for the game,” Kirschner said of Allen’s rise in the coaching ranks. “He can scheme with the best of them.”

Another trait Kirschner gave Allen credit for was his ability to build relationships with kids. He said he thinks Allen will do well recruiting in Indiana because of that.

“Me knowing him the way I do, I would encourage my kids,” Kirschner said. “I just know they would be 
really taken care of by him.”

Allen said he is excited to have the opportunity to return to the state of Indiana to coach on Wilson’s staff.

He also said the opportunity is more special since he now has the chance to coach and compete in the Big Ten, and he is looking forward to helping IU’s football program continue to grow.

“What Coach Wilson is building and the commitment Mr. Glass has made to the program, coaching staff and facilities is impressive,” Allen said. “I am very much looking forward to helping this program continue to grow and develop.”