COLUMN: Gov. Pence doesn't get Hoosiers

Gov. Mike Pence’s speech at the State of the State address packed in a lot. Mostly, it contained the word “Hoosier” more times than any Indiana University student would be comfortable with.

But the speech was really about Pence’s views on religious legislation as it relates the rights of the LGBTQ community.

Pence doubts that it is “necessary or even possible” for him to support both the protection of religious freedom and the protection of the rights of gay and trans Hoosiers.

You know, because the civil liberties of some human beings is not something that we here in Indiana consider “necessary.”

Mike Pence has been pretty clear in the past about how he feels about religion as it relates to LGBT freedoms.

He passed the Indiana Religious Freedom Act last year, which, until he begrudgingly amended it, allowed religious business owners to refuse service to gay, trans or bi folks.

And it may continue.

Recently senators from Indiana introduced Senate Bill 35 to the Senate, which proposed to make it a misdemeanor for people who did not have the “biological gender” of a restroom to use that restroom.

Given this State of the State announcement, it is expected Pence will sign this into law.

This comes as no surprise.

Pence seems to think someone having the freedom to be who they are or love who they love conflicts with someone else having the ability to practice their religion.

Our state constitution protects against legislation that would interfere with this ability, he says.

I struggle to find the connection between freedom to believe and practice a religion and the existence of legally protected LGBT folks.

It may be true that some religious dogma clash with followers actually being gay or being trans.

However, these religions can be followed even with legislation that supports LGBT rights.

Pence’s statement conjures images of men blocking the doors to a church against anyone who will not join their love affair.

This would not happen should they be offered all the same legal protections as straight, cisgender people.

However, Pence stands with his belief in religious freedom overall.

But, as he said himself, “Hoosiers don’t tolerate discrimination.”

Hoosiers see the possibility of both caring about free practice and caring about their neighbors.

They value faith and acceptance.

So should Pence.