sports wrestling

Freshman walk-on finding early success at IU

Freshman Norman Conley began his wrestling career in middle school. He started winning matches in seventh grade and said he always had aspirations of wrestling in 
college.

“My dad has done so much for me,” Conley said. “Paying for all these tournaments, clubs, coaching — and my family has always been there to support me, so that has always helped a lot.”

Conley played many sports growing up, but he said wrestling and football were always his favorites. Conley said he really started to focus on wrestling because he knew he could pursue it in college and he loved the one-on-one vibe of being on the mat.

Conley shattered school records at Chaminade College Prepatory School in St. Louis. He currently holds the record for season wins with 43, career wins with 109, single-season takedowns and the best finish at the state tournament at fourth.

Conley has had a lot of success throughout his career, including two top-five finishes in the state tournament in high school, but his most memorable moment is used as motivation.

“When I lost my junior year at state,” Conley said. “I really was looking to win state, and I lost. It was a turning point in my career; after that, I became an All-American.”

IU Coach Duane Goldman said he did not know much about him before Conley was on campus for a visit.

“He is a walk-on, but he’s great to have on the team and we’re glad he’s here,” Goldman said. “He’s come in here and taken the opportunity to heart and ran with it.”

Conley was down to two choices when determining where he would wrestle in 
college: IU and Missouri.

Despite having scholarship offers from other schools, he chose IU because of the family feel he saw when he was visiting.

“They were going to give attention to everyone on the team,” Conley said. “They’re going to stick with you when you’re hurt, they are going to stick with you when you’re having a hard time.”

Conley has only been at IU for a few months, but he said he already has moments that are memorable for him. He said the team chemistry and family feel has really stood out so far, and that there are no cliques within the team.

The freshman did not receive an athletic scholarship from IU, and he knows being a walk-on brings challenges.

“I think people don’t expect me to do as well,” Conley said. “I think it makes it a little harder for me to make myself known, but there are no 
excuses.”

In the first tournament of the season, the Eastern Michigan Open, Conley made himself known by placing third in the 174-pound weight class.

He had four wins to one loss in the EMU Open and lost only to the tournament 
champion of that weight class.

Goldman said Conley was a bright spot in the 
tournament.

Conley said he embraces the challenge of being a walk-on because it motivates him to wrestle to the best of his ability every time he gets on the mat.

He said he wrestled someone from Missouri earlier in the season, the prospect Missouri chose instead of him.

Conley beat him.

“We’re real happy with him, he’s doing great,” Goldman said. “He’s very committed, he works hard in the classroom, he works hard in the room, he’s got a great 
attitude.”

Conley has high aspirations for the rest of his 
freshman season.

“I would really like to get a win, and place at the midlands,” Conley said. “I would like to beat some ranked guys, get my name out there even more.”