COLUMN: IU bounces back with a win, but issues still at hand

Freshman center Thomas Bryant pulls the ball in from a wide pass against Alcorn State on Monday at Assembly Hall. The Hoosiers won 112-70.

IU men’s basketball won easily Monday against Alcorn State, as it should have. It made 15 3-pointers and shot 67 percent from the field, as it probably should have.

Yet the worries that arose from the Hoosiers’ performance last week in Maui were not put at ease. The defense still allowed Alcorn State to drive to the basket consistently. At times rebounding was even a concern against a lineup whose tallest starter stands at 6-foot-7.

To give IU credit, it addressed many first-half issues and dominated the boards for the rest of the game. It also only turned the ball over four times in the second half.

The concern, though, is in how much worse these issues may be exposed Wednesday at No. 7 Duke.

IU Coach Tom Crean acknowledged how helpful this game was in giving the Hoosiers a test in between Maui and Duke, but the Blue Devils could only build on the unrest surrounding this season.

Alcorn State is one of the worst teams in the nation. Duke trots out 5-star recruits and possesses players designed to capitalize on IU’s weaknesses.

Duke guard Grayson Allen may be one of the better dribble penetrators in the country. Crean talked about how good Duke is at getting the basket and forcing fouls. You could argue allowing penetration is the Hoosiers’ biggest flaw.

Allen could have a field day against someone smaller like senior guard Yogi Ferrell or someone like sophomore guard James Blackmon Jr.

I’m excited to watch freshman center Thomas Bryant matchup with Duke center Marshall Plumlee. IU was outrebounded 17-14 in the first half Monday by Alcorn State.

Granted, it addressed the problem and put itself in position better as the game went on, but imagine Plumlee — who compiled 12 rebounds against No. 1 Kentucky — against this IU team.

I suppose it’s important to know there is a good chance IU loses this game. KenPom.com gives Duke an 81 percent chance at victory Wednesday. So, to some extent, we should take the game as an opportunity for IU to work against higher quality players.

Bryant is still experiencing growing pains against low-level teams. Plumlee provides him with an opponent who is bigger and maybe more athletic. Bryant will have to fight for position and displays some toughness at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

It is no secret there are concerns with this IU team. Many of them are more dramatic than expected when the season began, but they seem manageable.

You can coach rebound positioning, as shown by the second half Monday night. The penetration defense can be developed, although there is a long way to go. Luckily, those things are being addressed now, not later.

What could be the glowing hope for IU against Duke is it has actually struggled defending the 3-point shot. If Bryant can gather respect down low, IU has a chance to go on runs and surprise Duke.

But let’s not plan on the exception. Duke is good, really good. Plan on Duke getting to the basket and the free throw line consistently.

IU beat Alcorn State, but work still needs to be done.