COLUMN: Enough of Greg Hardy and domestic abuse, NFL

While the National Football League has had its fair share of domestic abuse cases in the past, one recent case has been drawing attention after photos of the victim were released last month.

Cowboys defensive end Greg Hardy was suspended after abusing his ex-girlfriend Nicole Holder on the night of May 12. He served a four-game suspension for “throwing Holder against a bathtub wall, choking her and throwing her on a futon covered with assault rifles.” This violence was enough to make Holder fear for her life.

Why only four? Simply put, Hardy is a good football player. Why should he have to apologize though? It’s not like the NFL or Commissioner Roger Goodell cares.

After a Philadelphia Eagles fan started a petition to get Hardy banned from the NFL and received more than 70,000 signatures in four weeks, I thought the league would get the hint.

Instead we have Cowboys’ owner Jerry Jones praising Hardy as a “real leader,” according to Deadspin. I’m sorry, but the last time I checked, tough, manly leaders don’t feel the need to beat women.

New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees, who founded the Dream Foundation, “a charity that partnered with Operations Kids after Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf,” according to the 
Bleacher Report, is a leader.

Carolina Panthers cornerback Charles “Peanut” Tillman, who founded the Charles Tillman Cornerstone Foundation benefiting “chronically and critically ill kids in the Chicago area,” is a leader.

The list of charitable leaders in the NFL goes on and on, consisting of players who are leaders on and off the field. Peyton Manning, Marshawn Lynch and Wes Welker are leaders. Greg Hardy, however, is nowhere to be found on that list.

Greg Hardy is a coward. Not only did he commit one of the most cowardly acts 
imaginable, he didn’t even find it necessary to apologize.

Again, why would he since the NFL is obviously not holding him accountable? Suspending Hardy for four games is just as much a slap in the face as not suspending him at all. These actions have sent a message loud and clear to players across the country: if you are an “exceptional” football player, your indiscretions will be overlooked, no matter how serious.

Is this supposed to put an end to domestic violence controversies in the NFL? I don’t think so. Any Average Joe wouldn’t have gotten away with these crimes and someone of such high status shouldn’t either.

In fact, someone of Hardy’s status should be held to an even higher standard than most. He is a public figure and is someone who should set 
examples for others.

After the Ray Rice domestic abuse scandal last year, I thought Goodell and the rest of the NFL had learned their lesson. Though Rice was given permission to play again after punching his girlfriend in a video that went viral, no teams dared to pick him up.

It was a step in the right direction. Actions thus far dealing with Hardy have put us two steps in the wrong direction. The people have spoken. More than 70,000 signatures demand Hardy’s removal from the NFL. If the worst thing that happened to Hardy was that he was unable to play in the NFL ever again instead of facing much-deserved jail time, he would be lucky.

The ultimate decision still lies in the hands of Goodell, whether he will respond to the petition and remove Hardy from the NFL or continue to send the message that domestic violence is acceptable.