COLUMN: Amy Schumer shakes up Pirelli Calendar

The Pirelli calendar is an infamous yearly publication featuring models and supermodels in various styled nude poses. This year was a departure from its typical theme.

Rather than featuring nude models, the calendar instead features female figures — women who were presidents of companies, actresses, business owners and, brilliantly, one Amy Schumer sporting only underwear and heels.

Of course, we can criticize the idea. It is a politically correct move reminiscent of Playboy’s decision to stop publishing nudes, and I question whether or not the calendar would have actually published these women without feminism’s sudden rise in 
popularity.

But I loved and appreciated Schumer’s photograph. She is the comedian gaining popularity for her self-deprecating criticisms of beauty and fashion. She is also popular among women of my generation for her honesty about what it’s like to be a woman in the 21st century and her ability to break down female stereotypes and be honest, but hilarious, about the lived female experience.

In the photo, she ungracefully poses with a paper coffee cup, and it’s clear that she is no supermodel. Though Schumer is certainly not overweight, she has rolls, she has love handles — she’s not “perfect.”

But she is funny, and she’s smart. The photograph is an intelligent jab at, as overused as this phrase is these days, our stereotypical views of women.

Many times it seems we, as the consumers, are responsible for showing people who “real” women are.

While we try to create a movement amongst ourselves to love and accept all types of women, media constantly barrages us with images of hyper-sexualized, impossible female bodies. It can often feel like a losing battle.

Not many celebrities choose to take unflattering photographs, and not many celebrities choose to be as honest about their bodies as this photograph is.

It also makes a smart commentary on the presentation of the female body. Schumer is positioned in a typical modeling pose, bending coyly away from the camera. It becomes clear this is a way to photograph the female body that flatters only one type of woman.

It’s obvious how much she doesn’t care that she has flaws, and it’s obvious how much we shouldn’t care that we have flaws. The fact this photo is mixed in with a wealth of impressive female role models makes a commentary on what is actually important for women — ambition, brains, artistry and spunk.

So all hail Queen Amy. I’m waiting for a “Trainwreck II.”