sports men's soccer

IU ends season with 4-1 victory over Michigan State

Senior midfielder Matt Foldesy moves the ball up the field. The Hoosiers defeated the Badgers 1-0 on Saturday night.

IU men’s soccer ended its conference season with a 4-1 victory against Michigan State on Wednesday in East Lansing, Michigan.

The Hoosiers have not beat the Spartans since a 3-0 victory in 2010.

But Wednesday afternoon, goals from redshirt junior defender Derek Creviston, senior forward Femi Hollinger-Janzen and junior midfielders Tanner Thompson and Richard Ballard ensured the Hoosiers broke that streak.

IU scored two early goals. Creviston headed in his first goal of his IU career from a corner by Thompson in the eighth minute.

Three minutes later, Thompson scored IU’s second goal and his third of the 
season.

“We got a foul just outside the left side of the box,” Thompson said. “We had been working on these scenarios in training, but we just didn’t get them during games, so I was happy that I managed to put the ball into the back of the net.”

Hollinger-Janzen would triple IU’s lead in the 38th minute when he latched onto a pass from freshman midfielder Jeremiah Gutjahr to score IU’s third, and his seventh, goal of the season. The senior forward, who was part of IU’s 2012-championship winning team, is currently the Hoosiers’ leading scorer.

The Hoosiers were able to restrict the Spartans’ attempts on goal and headed into the half time break with a 3-0 lead.

However, the Spartans started the second half the brighter of the two.

Michigan State senior midfielder Kyle Rutz reduced the deficit with his first goal of the season.

First half goal scorer Hollinger-Janzen would then assist Ballard in the 69th 
minute.

Ballard scored his first IU goal in some style as he half volleyed the ball into the top-right corner of the goal from just outside the box.

“Richard’s goal was one of the nicest goals of the season,” IU Coach Todd Yeagley said. “It’s nice to see Richard getting his first career goal.”

Michigan State tried to reduce the deficit but IU’s defense, which has been resolute all game, was able to restrict the Spartans’ chances.

“I thought we were good defensively,” Yeagley said. “Colin (Webb) didn’t manage to get a shutout but our team was very good 
defensively.”

The Hoosiers were sitting at rock bottom three Big Ten games ago, but with this win they have now taken the maximum nine points and have put themselves in a commanding position to host the quarterfinal game of the tournament.

“I felt great even when we were in the eighth or ninth position because the team has been playing really well,” Yeagley said. “Our sport can be cruel, but I thought the team stayed on track and in the moment and took care of what’s in front of them.”