IU defeats Tennessee State, 88-56, in Preseason WNIT

Sophomore guard Tyra Buss laughs with her teammates after just running over the head coach of Tennessee State while trying to save a ball from going out of bounds.

IU women’s basketball came into its season opener Friday afternoon prepared to take on a competitive 2014-15 NCAA tournament team in Tennessee State after winning its exhibition by 65 points.

But the team saw less competition than anticipated as it won the game by 32 points, 88-56, to move on to the second round of the Preseason Women’s National Invitation Tournament and play either Chattanooga or McNeese State.

“I liked the way we played, particularly in he first half,” IU Coach Teri Moren said. “We’ve got some things to clean up in the second half, but we’ll be ready come Tuesday night.”

The first half was nearly lights out for the Hoosiers, as they allowed the Tigers to score just seven points in each of the first two quarters and scored 50 points of their own to push the halftime lead to 50-14.

Tennessee State converted 12 percent of its field goal tries and committed 16 personal fouls, compared to IU’s 48.5 field goal percentage and six first half fouls.

Moren said it was the third quarter mishaps that she wants to fix before the second round of the tournament at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Assembly Hall.

After halftime, the Hoosiers lost the rhythm they had created in the first half, and the defense began to allow penetration to the post and easier baskets for the Tigers, More said.

“We challenged them at halftime not to do the same thing we did against Slippery Rock, and unfortunately we kind of went back to that place,” Moren said. “Sometimes you hate that there’s a halftime.”

In the exhibition against Slippery Rock, IU got off to a fast start taking a 53-19 lead into halftime, but only scored 16 in the third quarter because of turnovers and porous defense, Moren said.

The break in action Friday was followed up by a 22-20 third quarter in which IU was outscored, and then a 20-18 fourth quarter where Tennessee State outscored IU again.

Junior guard Tyshee Towner said the Hoosiers’ comfort with their halftime lead led to a lack of communication in the second half, which included a 17-0 run by the Tigers.

“We’re going to have to go back and really focus on what we did in that third quarter and why we played the way we did and do a much better job,” Moren said.

The Hoosiers said they wanted to stay out of foul trouble against the Tigers, which has been a focal point in their training since opposing teams get bonus free throws after five team fouls in a quarter, compared to seven in a half last season.

But they also wanted to work the ball into the post more often, usually a combination that results in greater foul trouble on the inside, Moren said.

IU achieved both goals, though, as it committed just nine fouls all game, compared to Tennessee State’s 22, and got the ball to sophomore forward Amanda Cahill in the post, allowing her to score 17 points in the game.

“We have got be super disciplined defensively now that after those five fouls you’re shooting two shots,” Moren said. “We’ve done a really good job of staying disciplined, being able to apply pressure without getting ourselves in foul trouble.”

Sophomore guard Tyra Buss has now combined for a total of 52 points between the first two games of the season, and Cahill and junior forward Alexis Gassion both fell two rebounds shy of their second double-doubles of the season.

But the second half will continue to be the focus for the Hoosiers as they move onto the second round of the WNIT.

“No matter the score is, it’s all about the future,” Cahill said. “I’d say we definitely need to keep our minds in it and get prepared for the next game.”