Switchyard Brewing Company announces Bloomington location

In 2016 Bloomington will be home to a new $4 million brewpub.

In an Oct. 21 press release, Switchyard Brewing Company announced they had selected the former RCA/Thompson site, located at 1320 S. Rogers St., as the destination brewpub’s location. The 1.3 acre area will house the 10,500 square foot facility, an onsite parking lot and a large outdoor patio.

Switchyard is an 
independent Bloomington-based brewpub. It was founded by two Indiana 
natives in 2014.

“Like many American start-up companies, our dream began several years ago on the workbench of a two-car garage,” Switchyard Brewing co-founder Kurtis Cummings said in the release. “After two years of developing our business plan, walking through potential sites and perfecting our craft, we are incredibly 
excited to build near the 
future Switchyard Park.”

Switchyard Park is the 58-acre stretch of land the City of Bloomington plans to turn into a park.

The release claimed the future brewpub will provide a different experience. Customers will be able to see the 15 barrel brewhouse and fermentation cellar as well as special-event spaces and performances on the indoor stage.

The facility is being designed by local architect Ryan Strauser. It will be inspired by the founders’ 
traveling experiences.

The brewery has also launched a Kickstarter campaign called #ShareOurCraft. Donors are given benefits based on the amount they contribute. Some will have a custom engraving in a block that will be used in the building’s construction. Others will receive handmade beer steins or tickets to the brewery’s soft 
opening.