sports men's soccer

Hoosiers keep Maryland scoreless in draw

Rees Wedderburn takes a shot during the first half of game play against Ohi State on Saturday at Jerry Yeagley Field. The shot bounced off both goal posts before going out of bounds.

Two periods of overtime could not separate IU and Maryland on Friday night, as the Hoosiers played out a goalless draw with the 
Terrapins 0-0.

The Hoosiers (7-4-2) were keen to make amends after losing 1-0 to Ohio State, thanks to a contentious penalty Oct. 10, but they could not find a way past Terrapin redshirt junior goalkeeper Cody Niedermeier Friday night.

The stat sheet was similar for both teams, as IU (7-4-2) had 16 shots on goal while Maryland (6-3-4) had 18. Junior goalkeeper Colin Webb had his busiest shift in goal this season, making six saves during the game to deny Maryland, who had scored in five straight games prior to Friday.

IU, which spent additional time on finishing plays in training during the past week, came close to scoring in the 10th minute when junior defender Billy McConnell’s shot hit the post.

Twice Niedermeier 
denied junior midfielder Tanner Thompson, who had five attempts on goal.

Redshirt junior midfielder Phil Fives also tested Niedermeier twice during the game but was also unable to find a way past him.

“I thought it was a good game,” IU Coach Todd Yeagley said. “I thought Maryland was excellent and was very good going forward, and I thought our team defense was very good. It was a game where both teams were trying to establish territory and rhythm and so it’s a high paced game, and I thought we could have been a little bit better with in our poise in the final third.”

The draw means the Hoosiers are still at the bottom of the Big Ten standings and will return to Bill Armstrong Stadium on Tuesday night as they prepare to face the Cardinals in non-conference 
action.